Advice wanted for music videos! posted by I have no company

9 posts on this topic, 986 views

Post a Reply
Advice wanted for music videos! on May 29, 2013 @ 1:07 pmReport this post as inappropriate#1
by I have no company I have no company is currently offline. Click to send a message.

Hey all,

A friend of mine has asked me to help her make some cool and interesting music videos for her songs and I just wanted to know what people thought of
them and if they had any suggestions for how we could improve?

Here's one we uploaded the other day, what do you think?

Reply to this message by quoting it
Re: Advice wanted for music videos! on June 4, 2013 @ 8:34 pmReport this post as inappropriate#2
by martinjenkins martinjenkins is currently offline. Click to send a message.

Hey there I don't usually voice my opinion so much but your video caught my interest. No doubt you are pretty handy with a camera and you have taken a variety of good shots. My feeling is that you should have interspersed short segments of her actually singing the tune in time, whether in the studio or otherwise. You could take the whole song while she sings and then use parts. That also gives you the opportunity to use transparencies while merging in other scenes you shoot. I would have loved to see her interact with the dog. My last suggestion would be to control how much camera movement you have while shooting as this is a mellow song and the abrupt movements seem to go against the feel of the song a little. One idea is you could take a shot where she is waving or giving the thumbs up and play it back in slower motion to give it a dreamier effect.
At the end of the day my friend this is all subjective so someone else might tell you exactly the opposite. I am not a videographer but I have played around with taking video. If you look at my demo here I didn't have the liberty that you have. It was a live demo and I was playing and singing so I set up 5 different digital cameras taking video from different angles and set them all to record at the same time. Later I used software to merge, zoom, pan etc
I did what I could with what I had while actually sitting it out so to speak. In the end it worked out decent I think.
Keep up the good work and don't be afraid to try new things.
And Good Luck.

Martin

Re: Advice wanted for music videos! on June 20, 2013 @ 2:06 pmReport this post as inappropriate#3
by I have no company I have no company is currently offline. Click to send a message.

You're right I definitely should have synced the singing with the timing of the recording and I also agree the editing could have flown better with the pace of the song. Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it.

Re: Advice wanted for music videos! on June 22, 2013 @ 11:55 pmReport this post as inappropriate#4
by Barry David Butler Barry David Butler is currently offline. Click to send a message.

Good Video and I love the Song.

Check my songs at barrydbutler channel on youtube.

Great Luck!

Barry David Butler (bdbutler@centurylink.net)

Re: Advice wanted for music videos! on July 2, 2013 @ 11:17 amReport this post as inappropriate#5

Thanks Barry I will!

Re: Advice wanted for music videos! on July 6, 2013 @ 8:27 amReport this post as inappropriate#6
by MusicChamberDubai MusicChamberDubai is currently offline. Click to send a message.

After going through all the comments here, I think that you have enough feedback to improve the video, but one thing I would like to say, which no one has noticed here is she has a good voice.

Re: Advice wanted for music videos! on July 15, 2013 @ 10:07 amReport this post as inappropriate#7

Thanks Rawhi :-)

Re: Advice wanted for music videos! on July 15, 2013 @ 12:41 pmReport this post as inappropriate#8
by MusicChamberDubai MusicChamberDubai is currently offline. Click to send a message.

Your are welcome. We have a music school in Dubai with the name The Music Chamber and I can sense the talent.

Re: Advice wanted for music videos! on August 24, 2013 @ 9:16 pmReport this post as inappropriate#9
by DeForest Mapp  
1. Nice footage, happy faces. But ultimately if you want her to keep using you, you may consider the following.

2. Use a tripod to stabilize your shots. If you're blessed with a steady hand, then steady is cool.

3. Make the artist paramount all throughout. Even if you wish to showcase those who she cares about (band member, producer, dog) make it about her relationship to each one.

4. Directing -- Close up, Medium shot, Long shot. Those are the main three camera angles you want to keep in mind. If you want to kick your style up a 1000 notches, do a story board or a shot list, which details what you're going to do prior to shooting. That will force you and the artist to agree on a concept. That way when you get to editing, you know where you're going and you know what you have.

5. Editing -- When you're editing, keep your cuts short and interesting.

6. Keep up the good work.

Post a Reply