Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WHY agencies never... posted by FrancoLorelli

21 posts on this topic, shown 11-21, 2391 views

Browse: [<<] 1 2

Post a Reply
Re: Re: Re: WHY agencies never reply?? on December 12, 2013 @ 12:15 pmReport this post as inappropriate#11
by MusicChamberDubai MusicChamberDubai is currently offline. Click to send a message.
In cases like this as explained by you it is bad and I do not think any reputed firm would do something like this.
There are some unwanted entities present in the society, which do not think or even know about minimum courtesy and this is fact of disappointment, but again we are helpless as they are ready to understand that people are getting harassed because of their behaviors and they are also getting bad name for their business.

Reply to this message by quoting it
Re: Re: Re: WHY agencies never reply?? on February 16, 2014 @ 3:36 pmReport this post as inappropriate#12
by Last Minute Musicians  Last Minute Musicians  is currently offline. Click to send a message.

Hi,

In my experience, many agencies simply receive so many emails and applications that it takes too much time to reply to all.

It's also worth noting that many agencies don't give new bands too much of a chance to prove themselves. My guess is that, on average, an agency spends less than 1 minute on each band. Therefore, it's important for bands to show off their best music first - making it easily accessible.

I write articles for Last Minute Musicians and regularly post information on how to get gigs too.

Re: Re: Re: WHY agencies never reply?? on March 12, 2014 @ 2:22 amReport this post as inappropriate#13
by Ron Swanson  
Business Communication 101;-)

I believe most musicians have experienced this frustrating problem, and although it's understandably difficult for an agency or an employer to answer/reply to every submission, one must keep in mind that they took the time to advertise the position(s) and presumably expect people to contact them and be prepared for this.

Besides being a matter of polite courtesy replying to applicants, it's only fair if an agency or employer expects an applicant to be a professional in every way necessary that the agency or employer also be professional in their way of conducting business. This positively engenders and encourages mutual trust in each other to do their respective jobs efficiently and reliably.

As for dealing with a potentially large number of submissions; as long as the agency or employer has the applicants' email address, it's possible to use their email program's BCC (Blind Carbon Copy) function to include and send to all applicants notifying them that 'Thanks for your interest but the position has been filled.'

The Blind Carbon Copy function of nearly every modern email program is similar to the CC (Carbon Copy) function allowing an email to be sent to multiple email addresses simultaneously. Except the BCC allows every receivers' email address to remain respectfully private from each other. One can also use their email program's Reply All function. This is all good email etiquette in any online communication.

Doing this takes nearly the same amount of time to send just one email and everyone is politely kept informed plus it maintains positive relations with the agency or employer as well, instead of losing faith or trust in that agency or employer's ability to do business.

If there's just too many applications and not enough time to do this, one could simply edit their original ad, or place another new one saying 'Thanks everyone for your interest but the position has been filled.'

Being considerate, courteous, fair and professional at all times is the mark of a true professional in any business. It all comes down to mutual respect - everyone wins this way.

Edited by Ron Swanson on March 12, 2014 @ 2:37 amReply to this message by quoting it
Re: Re: Re: Re: WHY agencies never reply?? on March 14, 2014 @ 8:18 pmReport this post as inappropriate#14
by Last Minute Musicians  Last Minute Musicians  is currently offline. Click to send a message.
Good tips Rand!

Considering this topic, I assume that you all believe agencies to be a useful within the music industry?

I know that some bands believe they are able to get more/better paid gigs on their own - rather than having an agency as a middle man. Thoughts?

Re: Re: Re: Re: WHY agencies never reply?? on March 14, 2014 @ 9:29 pmReport this post as inappropriate#15
by Giuseppe Cerciello Giuseppe Cerciello is currently offline. Click to send a message.
In my experience, if you have a really rocking act, employer, agency ect. will fight to have you. After all, that's what make their living and success so why they should loose the opportunity to make money and reputation ignoring you?

I think that if we hide behind false expectation and excuses is for sure of any help. If we learn for our failures, probably tomorrow we can be the kind of act that every employer can dream.

What I mean is that if I propose an act and I don't receive any responce or a negative one which basically is the some, I can only re-think about what I am doing wrong instead of moaning about politeness ect.. and surely if I am honest with myself I can finally see clear and improve it. Time is money so don't waste yours.

Edited by Giuseppe Cerciello on March 14, 2014 @ 9:34 pmReply to this message by quoting it
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WHY agencies never reply?? on March 19, 2014 @ 4:56 amReport this post as inappropriate#16
by Ron Swanson  
On March 14, 2014 Giuseppe Cerciello wrote:
In my experience, if you have a really rocking act, employer, agency ect. will fight to have you. After all, that's what make their living and success so why they should loose the opportunity to make money and reputation ignoring you?

I think that if we hide behind false expectation and excuses is for sure of any help. If we learn for our failures, probably tomorrow we can be the kind of act that every employer can dream.

What I mean is that if I propose an act and I don't receive any responce or a negative one which basically is the some, I can only re-think about what I am doing wrong instead of moaning about politeness ect.. and surely if I am honest with myself I can finally see clear and improve it. Time is money so don't waste yours.

I think you're missing the main point entirely my friend. What you perceive as 'moaning' is simply people wondering why, after all the life-time and effort it involves to study, develop and maintain being a professional musician and then applying for an advertised position, that they don't receive any reply whatsoever. It doesn't make sense. There's already enough frustration in one's life without having more unnecessarily added to it with a complete lack of communication.

This is entirely understandable because no one appreciates being ignored. When dealing with anyone in a social context, there's certain ways of behavior that are expected simply as being courteous and polite. To behave with professional courtesy towards someone and then expect the same in return is natural, even if it's unrealistic at times. Yet people still have the right to know the result of their efforts regardless, and can only hope the other party understands this and complies.

Granted, the majority of people don't even realize and can't comprehend the amount of self-discipline, talent, skill, time and years of work involved in becoming a professional musician. They assume that since it looks so 'easy' and 'fun' to perform on stage that it can't be that difficult to do, hence isn't as deserving of respect as another professional like a doctor or lawyer, or even a plumber. But this attitude underlies the main problem, which is a lack of respect.

Also, how can anyone, as you say, learn from their failures if they don't have the slightest idea why their application wasn't successful? How can anyone learn anything without feedback?

For example, if you go to an audition and when finished they say 'thanks, we'll let you know' and they never do; how does that make you feel? Would you behave this way if you auditioned people for your own band?

Regardless if someone is very good at what they do or not, they're still human beings that deserve being treated with respect. After all, they took an interest in your ad and made the effort to help you achieve a 'win-win' arrangement.

Again, it's all about mutual respect. In a perfect world, if that's the idealistic basis of all social interaction, the world would be a much better place, right? But it isn't a perfect world, so we're still left dealing with the initial problem all too often and can only hope for a response.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WHY agencies never reply?? on March 19, 2014 @ 1:12 pmReport this post as inappropriate#17
by Giuseppe Cerciello Giuseppe Cerciello is currently offline. Click to send a message.

Bla Bla Bla . . that's moaning!

I am not sure if the world would be a better place hiding behind formal hypocrisy and not facts.

I am afraid you missed my point. If you "wonder why" didn't get the job, is simply because someone else is better then you for that position . . Gosh is so obvious.

Now what I tryed to say is that if you find yours in this position, you can moan as much you want or put yourself togheter and re-think about what is non good enough for the real world in your act.

As a musician I found myself many time in this situation and that exactly what I did and will do in the future about, instead of wasting my time moaning!

. . "ooh I got self-discipline"
. . "ooh I got talent"
. . "ooh I got skill"
. . "ooh I deserve respect"

Get real, somebody else got everything more then you! If you haven't the main talent of the self-criticism and also are unable to re-think positively you are in the wrong business, yes this is a business, the big "Entertainment Business" where time is big money.

I hope this thoughts can help new artists approaching the professional real world with open mind. Obviously veterans that survived in this jungle have quick understood this concept.

Instead to expect to change things which obviously never happen, would be better to ask to state clearly "only successufull candidate will be contacted" in the adv. or auditions, which many already do.

That's what make sense to me about this discussion.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WHY agencies never reply?? on April 9, 2014 @ 1:28 pmReport this post as inappropriate#18
by Liliya Akhmetzyanova Liliya Akhmetzyanova is currently offline. Click to send a message.

I believe that a musician doesn't get the job he has applied for not only because he is (or she is) not good enough for this position, but probably because the position is not good enough for him or her.
This is my transcedental vision of the situation :-)
Sometimes it happens that you thank those who didn't accepted your application because a little later you get much better conditions!
Never give up! :-)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WHY agencies never reply?? on April 11, 2014 @ 3:53 pmReport this post as inappropriate#19
by Vicky Lauda Vicky Lauda is currently offline. Click to send a message.
Hi, I am not professional but what you describe exists in other fields.
The employers, recruiters can be overflowed, the applicants exasperated.
And leaders or persons in charge can be incompetents.
All is not always perfect or coherent.
I don't think in term of failure, this doesn't want to say that I succeed but I don't give up.
I always breathe, i will be in failure when i will not be there anymore

Vicky.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WHY agencies never... on August 9, 2014 @ 10:15 pmReport this post as inappropriate#20
by John Engberg  
https://soundcloud.com/way-out-the-band/i-was-wrong

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WHY agencies never... on November 9, 2014 @ 6:59 amReport this post as inappropriate#21
by Ron Swanson  
Excellent, and very well said...

Edited by Ron Swanson on November 9, 2014 @ 7:00 amReply to this message by quoting it
Post a Reply

Browse: [<<] 1 2