3 posts on this topic, 656 views

Post a Reply
TECHNICAL ADVICE NEEDED ! on February 25, 2014 @ 2:16 amReport this post as inappropriate#1
by NOVO NOVO is currently offline. Click to send a message.
Hi, I'm new here, just joined this evening.

Straight in. I would like to ask if anyone on here can help me with a technical question.

Basically, in my duo, we need to :-

1. Display lyrics and chords on two teleprompters (one for him, one for me)

2. Teleprompters will be connected to a tablet or computer which will generate the lyrics and chords

3. Finally, where there are backing tracks, possibly two devices (tablet or computer) will sychronise everything - backing track, lyrics and chords.

So, I need to know if this is possible to do (which I think it is) and then what equipment would be best used to make it happen !

Not asking much on my first post, sorry ! But I'm glad to be here, the site is very interesting and informative.

(If anything above doesn't make enough sense, let me know and I'll try to explain it better.)

Thank you !

Reply to this message by quoting it
Re: TECHNICAL ADVICE NEEDED ! on February 28, 2014 @ 8:57 amReport this post as inappropriate#2
by Ron Swanson  
Hi Syrinx,

First of all welcome to Musicians Page and hopefully you'll find it a rewarding experience in the ways you'd need it to be.

Secondly, from what you've described the simplest and most convenient method of displaying identical lyrics and chords to the same backing track playing would be to use just one large-sized tablet and have it mounted on a separate stand between both of you (assuming you're both either standing or sitting side-by-side parallel on stage). This way you could both easily see what's displayed plus control the tablet when necessary.

There are special mounting brackets for tablets (iPads, etc.) available either in your local music stores or online, and you could just use a normal mic stand between both of you to mount it on. It's quite common to see this identical type of setup with many professional backing musicians in production shows these days; horn players especially, so they can read their parts.

The backing tracks could also be played from the very same large sized tablet and either of you could easily control the tablet since it's (again presumably) positioned between both of you on stage. The only challenge I'd foresee is finding then using a long enough connecting cable (by usb or it's headphone jack) to connect your tablet to your PA setup, etc. and have it's pathway protected from the front of the stage where you are to wherever your PA is stationed.

Again, if you have a local music store that has some savvy people working there, they could probably help with more (even better) advice as well.

Hope this helps,

PS. Coincidentally one of the featured ads here on Musicians Page is actually StagePrompt, something you'd be very interested in checking out. Click here

Edited by Ron Swanson on February 28, 2014 @ 9:03 amReply to this message by quoting it
Re: Re: TECHNICAL ADVICE NEEDED ! on March 3, 2014 @ 8:42 pmReport this post as inappropriate#3
by NOVO NOVO is currently offline. Click to send a message.

Hello Rand, and THANK YOU !

We've been busy wading through various options (neither of us have a tablet yet so it's unknown territory. But your reply was extremely helpful and I am now checking out your link to StagePrompt.

Thanks again.

Reply to this message by quoting it
Post a Reply