Is An Agent Needed? posted by John Smith

3 posts on this topic, 613 views

Post a Reply
Is An Agent Needed? on September 28, 2014 @ 1:04 amReport this post as inappropriate#1
by John Smith  

Hey everyone!

I hope I am not breaking any etiquette rules by posting here, but I would greatly appreciate your help. I've been juggling around the idea of paying an agent to represent me, but I figured that I would solicit your advice prior to doing so. I imagine many of you have some great life experiences to share with me before I take the leap of faith and provide another being with money to hustle for me.

Any and all advice would be appreciated. But, to keep the discussion focused, it may be helpful to focus on the following questions:

1. Do I really need an agent nowadays to market myself? If not, how do I go about securing gigs and, hopefully one day, promotions?
2. How large of a following do I need before securing an agent makes financial sense?

Thank you so much for all your help.

Reply to this message by quoting it
Re: Is An Agent Needed? on September 29, 2014 @ 3:51 amReport this post as inappropriate#2
by Sandy DiLeo Sandy DiLeo is currently offline. Click to send a message.
a booking agent can be a great help and 10% is a good price for their share.Make it so you can still get your own gigs where they dont book-then you have nothing to lose.Every venue has its own rule about bringing a following and how much they pay.some may pay you the door-others may negociate a price with you or have a set price.

Re: Is An Agent Needed? posted by John Smith on February 8, 2015 @ 6:04 pmReport this post as inappropriate#3
by Leisa Coffman  

An agent can get you out there in ways that you can't. You don't need a following to get an agent, your following will follow suit with more bookings. Of course an agent taking you in has everything to do with if they think you are an easy act to book. Some acts are easier to book than others. Genre etc, determines a lot of that.

Also do you have all your ducks in a row? Do you have a website, etc. that showcases your music? Always have all that in place before shopping an agent or shopping any kind of a deal.

I am an artist manager that works on exposing original artists to industry leaders for record deals etc.

Hope that info helps.

Post a Reply