Re: Musical Grades: Do they define a Musician? posted by Emily Hawkin posted by Emily Hawkins

5 posts on this topic, 3223 views

Post a Reply
Musical Grades: Do they define a Musician? on February 17, 2016 @ 2:07 pmReport this post as inappropriate#1
by Emily Hawkins Emily  Hawkins is currently offline. Click to send a message.

Hi there

I'm in my final year at university and I'm writing my dissertation on the advantages and disadvantages of grades and was wondering if anyone would be willing to comment on their personal teaching/studying experiences and how it affected them musically.

So, some general questions I would like to ask are:

· Positive and negative affects the grading system has on a typical learner?

· Do grades result in a competitive arena and is this right?

· Should music be measured?

· Should we use grades to define skills?

Or anything similar to these are welcomed.

Thank you in advance.

Reply to this message by quoting it
Re: Musical Grades: Do they define a Musician? posted by Emily Hawkin on February 18, 2016 @ 2:48 amReport this post as inappropriate#2
by Frank Pedulla Frank Pedulla is currently offline. Click to send a message.

As a college music professor, I believe that performance standards are an absolute necessity, and that therefore, they should be graded according to category. If not, how would future musicians know in what areas they are lacking, and perhaps even their positive aspects. I totally understand the viewpoint of how can art be graded. However, attending a college, university or conservatory, is in fact a time to be guided, and therefore a grading system in that regard is an absolute must! Always Musically yours, Frank Pedulla - www.boneplayer.com Also on LinkedIn Profile, and on You Tube. e-mail: fpboneplayer@yahoo.com Telephone Number: 1(718)706-7085 Thank you!

Re: Musical Grades: Do they define a Musician? posted by Emily Hawkin on April 24, 2016 @ 6:24 pmReport this post as inappropriate#3
by Greg Atkinson  

Hi there! This is a very good question, and I'd like to express my opinion.Grades are meant to measure someone's performance, but they are limited to the education system - which is not always resulting in accuracy. And this doesn't apply to music only. People learn skills in different ways and pace. The passion for music goes beyond the simple system of grading, and it definitely doesn't depend on a single professor's opinion - which can be subjective.

I'm trying to say that musical knowledge is a must, but it isn't related to how good your grades are. Remember this: people go to college for connections, not for becoming experts. The part when you start becoming an expert in your field is after you finish college and start going deeper in your desired niche of music. That's how you start learning from others and gain experience.

Re: Musical Grades: Do they define a Musician? posted by Emily Hawkin on September 6, 2016 @ 2:10 pmReport this post as inappropriate#4
by Robbie Alan Robbie Alan is currently offline. Click to send a message.

Your perfomance and the response you get from peope listening

determines how far you've come in your development.If you're

playing classical music and you have master performers listening,

they'll give you an honest appraisal.

I've performed for over 30 years,when my performance is not up

to par,the audience is very honest. this is far better than a grade.

I hope that helps you out.

Re: Musical Grades: Do they define a Musician? posted by Emily Hawkin on July 19, 2018 @ 2:33 amReport this post as inappropriate#5
by James Flood James Flood is currently offline. Click to send a message.

I don't think "Grades define a musician.

Post a Reply