Re: Re: Jobs opportunity?? ... posted by FrancoLorelli

33 posts on this topic, shown 21-33, 2539 views

Browse: [<<] 1 2 3

Post a Reply
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER: Musicians Page has limited control about the legitimacy of posted opportunities. Be sure to read our Terms of use before taking any action, and be always aware of possible frauds. Avoid to apply for jobs/opportunities asking for up-front money or requesting sensitive documents or information such as passports, credit card numbers, etc. If you think this opportunity may be a fraud, please contact us promptly.

Re: Re: Jobs opportunity?? ... on October 25, 2013 @ 9:52 pmReport this post as inappropriate#21
by Fabrizio Ferrari Fabrizio Ferrari is currently offline. Click to send a message.  *ADMINISTRATOR*
Hey folks,
could we set politics aside and focus on musicians needs please?

I am trying to find out how we can help US musicians here on MP. I am completely aware that we need more US jobs, and I can assure you, we are trying to do anything we can to bring people posting jobs on our site, but looks it is almost impossible!

Currently our strategy is to contact personally people posting jobs on craigslist around the country to post their jobs here too, but more than that I don't know what to think... ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks.
Fabrizio Ferrari

Reply to this message by quoting it
Re: Re: Jobs opportunity?? ... on October 26, 2013 @ 12:31 amReport this post as inappropriate#22
by Crag Jensen Crag Jensen is currently offline. Click to send a message.
Indeed! The politics are what they are but what I need is a gig. I have worked cruise ships, played in well over twenty states - Europe and the Caribbean and here I sit. If I knew of way to improve this web site I would certainly let you know.

Re: Re: Jobs opportunity?? ... on October 26, 2013 @ 1:09 amReport this post as inappropriate#23
by Fabrizio Ferrari Fabrizio Ferrari is currently offline. Click to send a message.  *ADMINISTRATOR*
Thank you Crag,
any feedback, ideas and suggestions are very welcome!

In the meantime, we are conducting some research to find new channels to bring you more US jobs... stay tuned!

Thank you again.

All the best,

Fabrizio

Edited by Fabrizio Ferrari on October 26, 2013 @ 1:10 amReply to this message by quoting it
Re: Re: Re: Jobs opportunity?? ... on October 27, 2013 @ 12:16 amReport this post as inappropriate#24
by martinjenkins martinjenkins is currently offline. Click to send a message.
If you ask me the whole damned world has gone nuts. The ads for the middle east for the most part want a female singer and male keyboard player. How sexist is that? Some of the ads I have read on here I don't know whether to cry or laugh. I read one recently where the advertiser required a trio so I looked at the description. They wanted a trio to perform Dance, Pop and Rock music and the line up?????? wait a minute here it comes.... Female singer, viola and guitar! Is it me or is there something a little weird about that?
I have not seen a jazz trio opening in a 5 star hotel in ages. Even if i had to try to satisfy these stringent limitations and use a female jazz drummer or female jazz bass player it's still really difficult as advertisers specify that she has to be the singer! Let's say I could get away with using a female musician right? how many female jazz bass players and/or drummers do you know 'cos where are i come from the answer to that is a big fat ZERO.
I tend to believe that true talent and professionalism is not being valued any more and all hoteliers are thinking about is visual impact.
I just remembered the last jazz trio vacancy I saw a while back. The advertiser wanted two female singers and a male keyboard player. Exactly how does that constitute a jazz trio?
My final point is this. I am not complaining. I am just making observations. After all just as countries get the governments they deserve so I suppose do hoteliers get the musicians they deserve. So take courage all, when the right person with a head on his/ her shoulders comes along he/she will recognize and appreciate you for your abilities and when quality is needed they will come for you.

Good day all.

Re: Re: Re: Jobs opportunity?? ... on October 27, 2013 @ 1:08 amReport this post as inappropriate#25
by Crag Jensen Crag Jensen is currently offline. Click to send a message.

I'm glad I'm not the only one here who has noticed the strange requests for musicians and singers. And you are right - it is pretty sexist - most of these hotel people want female singers. Well - it's back to work on my new "standards" demo... (Maybe I should don a wig, fake eyelashes and a pretty looking wig... LOL)

Re: Re: Re: Jobs opportunity?? ... on October 27, 2013 @ 3:17 pmReport this post as inappropriate#26
Thank you for your feedback guys, I understand your frustration and I share your same view on this subject.

We'll take the necessary steps to have more jobs toward "music talent" than "visual appeal". I agree on that 100%!

If you have any suggestions for us to have more people posting professional and talent-sensitive US jobs on MP, please let us know!

Thank you again.

Sincerely,
Fabrizio

Re: Re: Re: Jobs opportunity?? ... on October 27, 2013 @ 6:53 pmReport this post as inappropriate#27
by martinjenkins martinjenkins is currently offline. Click to send a message.

Hey all you guys in America. Consider yourself lucky. I come form Malta, a tiny island in the Mediterranean. If things were as they should be I should be able to get 2 gigs a night working as a solo pianovocalist with my talent and experience. There are more 5 star hotels than solo piano vocalists of a decent standard, yet i can't get a gig. Why? because the powers that be would rather see some guy pretending to play a midi driven keyboard than actually have someone with the knowledge and talent to play an instrument even for the same price.
This is the reality. It seems that the only market than has any life left in it is the cruise industry but those guys work you to the bone.

So rise up and say Hurrah y'all

P.S. For those of you thinking of coming to Malta to work as musicians. Forget it!

Re: Re: Re: Jobs opportunity?? ... on October 28, 2013 @ 12:07 amReport this post as inappropriate#28
by pianistgreg pianistgreg is currently online. Click to send a message.
On October 27, 2013 martinjenkins wrote:

Hey all you guys in America. Consider yourself lucky. I come form Malta, a tiny island in the Mediterranean. If things were as they should be I should be able to get 2 gigs a night working as a solo pianovocalist with my talent and experience. There are more 5 star hotels than solo piano vocalists of a decent standard, yet i can't get a gig. Why? because the powers that be would rather see some guy pretending to play a midi driven keyboard than actually have someone with the knowledge and talent to play an instrument even for the same price.
This is the reality. It seems that the only market than has any life left in it is the cruise industry but those guys work you to the bone.

So rise up and say Hurrah y'all

P.S. For those of you thinking of coming to Malta to work as musicians. Forget it!

Malta is such a great island. Been there many times as I work the cruise ships alot. Isn't a midi keyboard player basically a karaoke or singing DJ with tracks?

I've seen this on ships too with entire bands that stand behind laptops with instruments and pretend to play them.

Re: Re: Re: Jobs opportunity?? ... on October 28, 2013 @ 3:39 pmReport this post as inappropriate#29
Thank you guys for participating in the discussion. I am re-iterating the same question, because your feedback is extremely valuable and will help us to help you: what do you think we can do to find and give you more job opportunities? Any ideas, suggestions and thoughts are very welcome!

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks.

Sincerely,
Fabrizio Ferrari
supervisor/composer
Musicians Page
http://www.musicianspage.com
Virtual Sheet Music, Inc.
http://www.virtualsheetmusic.com

Re: Re: Re: Jobs opportunity?? ... on October 28, 2013 @ 4:38 pmReport this post as inappropriate#30
On October 28, 2013 Fabrizio Ferrari wrote:
Thank you guys for participating in the discussion. I am re-iterating the same question, because your feedback is extremely valuable and will help us to help you: what do you think we can do to find and give you more job opportunities? Any ideas, suggestions and thoughts are very welcome!

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks.

Sincerely,
Fabrizio Ferrari
supervisor/composer
Musicians Page
http://www.musicianspage.com
Virtual Sheet Music, Inc.
http://www.virtualsheetmusic.com

Checkout "Craigslist" in the USA. Among it's many categories it has a "Musicians Wanted Section." Stick with the listings in the big USA cities like LA or New York or Boston or Miami or Seattle or Minneapolis and so forth. If you could research the possibilities for jobs and then post what you think is good that would help us alot here in the USA.

You could also join "Musicians Contact" as a paying member and post there job opportunities on "Musicians Page." Maybe work out a deal with Sterling the owner so you can post from his site.

Re: Re: Re: Jobs opportunity?? ... on October 28, 2013 @ 6:38 pmReport this post as inappropriate#31
Thank you very much for your great ideas!

We are already working on Craigslist inviting people posting their jobs on Craigslist to post them here too... but we see that's not enough. We are working on a new system that will give you much more opportunities coming from Craigslist, almost in realtime (I can't tell the details yet, but we are working on it.

Your suggestion to get in touch with "Musicians Contact" is another good one that we'll surely consider to pursue!

Thank you so much!

If you have any more ideas, please shoot them out!!

Re: Re: Re: Jobs opportunity?? ... on October 30, 2013 @ 3:53 pmReport this post as inappropriate#32
I just thought of another place to find musicians jobs. There's a group on Facebook callled "Gig Leads and Gossip." They post alot of mainly USA musician jobs. Again you may have to work something out with the admin of the group Johnny Stone.

Give that a try as well as Craigslist and Musicians Contact and maybe re-post some of their job listings in addition to the other things you're doing.

Re: Re: Re: Jobs opportunity?? ... on October 30, 2013 @ 7:01 pmReport this post as inappropriate#33
Thank you Greg, that's a good group! We'll do our best to provide you more differentiated, US jobs. Stay tuned!!

All the best,

Fabrizio

Post a Reply

Browse: [<<] 1 2 3