Need help interpreting record label email posted by Keegan Lawler

6 posts on this topic, 1033 views

Post a Reply
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER: Musicians Page has limited control about the legitimacy of posted opportunities. Be sure to read our Terms of use before taking any action, and be always aware of possible frauds. Avoid to apply for jobs/opportunities asking for up-front money or requesting sensitive documents or information such as passports, credit card numbers, etc. If you think this opportunity may be a fraud, please contact us promptly.

Need help interpreting record label email on October 23, 2013 @ 4:15 amReport this post as inappropriate#1
by Keegan Lawler  
About a month ago I emailed my demos to some indie record companies and I got an email back that said I am from the A&R department. We have had an opportunity to audition your demos and we think that you have some very catchy songs. We think that the material has commercial potential. The material would require World-Class production in order to reach it's full commercial and artistic potential We have prepared some information for you and a short questionnaire that will help us in determining the best way for us to customise a development package for you, so as to achieve productions of your songs, up to world-class/release ready standards. This development package will be tailored to suit your own unique and individual circumstances and needs. Once the material is produced to this level, we can also provide marketing and distribution of your product, both nationally and Internationally. If you could please read through the supplied information attached as a PDF document and answer the questions within and then email these back to me at your earliest convenience, that would be greatly appreciated. We will then prepare a development package for you, based on the information supplied." I emailed them back the next day with the information and that was over a month ago, I just wasnt sure what to think and I don't know anyone with knowledge about this sort of thing. I'm getting a tad bit anxious and worried about the whole thing and I'm not sure if this is just an email they send out to people who send them demos, and I don't want to get my hopes up too much, so if anyone has any knowledge about this then that'd be much appreciated.

Reply to this message by quoting it
your letter on October 24, 2013 @ 2:12 pmReport this post as inappropriate#2
by Better Than Bono Better Than Bono is currently offline. Click to send a message.
Yeah Thats a waste of do need to get your music up to spec but you need real connections thats what counts..this is just money making bullshit

Re: Need help interpreting record label email on October 25, 2013 @ 9:41 amReport this post as inappropriate#3
by Alan George Smith Alan George Smith is currently offline. Click to send a message.

Scam. Just want your dosh... eventually. Post your own stuff up on a site that pays per download. Get your own following. It's not like the old days

Re: Need help interpreting record label email on October 25, 2013 @ 12:01 pmReport this post as inappropriate#4
by Kory Livingstone Kory Livingstone is currently offline. Click to send a message.
They're trying to tap into your ego, & use it as a leveraging tool to sell you something.

Re: Need help interpreting record label email on October 25, 2013 @ 12:59 pmReport this post as inappropriate#5
by The Friar's Quartet The Friar's Quartet is currently offline. Click to send a message.
Hi. My name is John Adams. I am a principal partner at Good Friar Music Publishing US/UK. Farai Msika is my counterpart in the United Kingdom. I've been in the music business for 40 years. I am presently on a performing assignment in Morocco.

I would concur with the other two gentlemen who previously answered you. However, I would like to inform you of a few things.

The music business in the old days always worked one of two ways.

First way:
Major (corporate) Record label and publishing company general policy is that they do not accept unsolicited work (In brief, if they didn't ask you for it, they are not inclined to accept it) Publishing companies find use for your music, whether for records, television, film or industrial use. Production companies work differently. They make money producing records. So, if you have great songs they make their money by a) recording your songs and taking some points for their contribution to the finished work.
There was only one way you got in: that is direct access. If you do not have friends on the inside, then the only other way is that your material has to have been reviewed at just the time when A&Rs happened to be reviewing new material for a brand new record that happened to be within the genre you were presenting your work in. And even then, they didn't take alot of time to listen. I could explain more to you but that might just cause you anxiety. :-)

Second way: The artist or writer funds, develops, records, manufactures, markets, promotes and distributes for usage and consumption his/her own work. In other words, self publish. If the work becomes noteworthy, begins to sell enough for the artist/writer to make a living, this would be considered a successful first step. With continued effort, the project's notoriety may begin to spread, make more money, gain popularity and eventually catch the ears of the folks who run the corporate machine. They will at some point find you and offer you peanuts for your work. It is incumbent upon the artist's representatives (they would not engage any artist in a business or administrative process) to negotiate a good deal with these folks. Yes indeed, this way was costly. But any business venture carries a cost in time and money.

TODAY: The First Way is practically NON-EXISTENT. An new and less costly incarnation of the second way is the new order in place, thanks to the technology ushered in during President Bill Clinton's time in office. As a result, eventually new legislature had to be introduced to prevent complete collapse of the music industry (see Digital Millenium Copyright Act of 1998). The Internet closed the gap and forced the global monopoly on records to take a new form. Nearly three decades ago, there were 6 major record labels who controlled the worldwide records: Polygram, Universal Music Group, Warner Music Group , EMI, SONY, BMG,. As I've had friends in those circles for about that long and witness the dismantling of that whole machine, piece by piece, year by year. Thousands of jobs at a time, done away with. Now there are only 3 left: Universal, SONY, Warner. The rest have let the music industry behind. The power is now left in your hands to create and start something. The power is in YOU. So get your business saavy on and YOU just DO YOU or you should seriously consider doing something else with you life.

Re: Need help interpreting record label email on November 1, 2013 @ 6:24 pmReport this post as inappropriate#6
by Rob Knowles Rob Knowles is currently offline. Click to send a message.
Probably not helpful but it might be of interest.

I have recently set up a website
I am happy to host new music on the website so instead of wasting your time with the authors of the email you could post it on my wedsite without contracts and all that stuff. It would be earn by sales.

Anyway good luck to you and never be afraid to ask.

Post a Reply