Re: Artists Shopping Their Own Deal posted by Promovocative posted by Promovocative

4 posts on this topic, 826 views

Post a Reply
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER: Musicians Page has limited control about the legitimacy of posted opportunities. Be sure to read our Terms of use before taking any action, and be always aware of possible frauds. Avoid to apply for jobs/opportunities asking for up-front money or requesting sensitive documents or information such as passports, credit card numbers, etc. If you think this opportunity may be a fraud, please contact us promptly.

Artists Shopping Their Own Deal on February 8, 2015 @ 6:36 pmReport this post as inappropriate#1
by Leisa Coffman  

Many artists try to represent themselves in obtaining record deals etc. While this is not always a bad idea, depending on the individual but it could be an idea that could cost them.

First impressions are EVERYTHING! A & R Reps are very busy people. They are inundated with hundreds of requests a day. Imagine yourself for a moment being that bogged down with people trying to get info to you. If you ever have been in any position where people are always trying to get at you, then you will begin to understand how the A & R Rep feels.

Day in and day out, all different levels of artists try to "Get Heard" some that aren't ready for that step, while some are. With hundreds of demos in front of them, how do the reps know the demos of the ones that are ready? Bottom line is they don't know. So imagine, they grab one of those ones that aren't ready and it's been a total waste of their time. Because this happens to them a lot more than they care to say, this turns them off! You've seen it yourself on the popular American Idol show. How people who think they are ready to be heard, completely have NO BUSINESS auditioning. While it makes for good TV, (for some not me) in the privacy of an A & R reps office it is NOT all that great. They are too busy for it. This is why they like solicited music. They know its been filtered.

When you are representing yourself you are considered to be unsolicited. Even if you try to look solicited this may still fail you because you are not always the best judge of what is ready to be heard and what is not.

Keep this in mind when shopping your own deal. I have a showcase area that I have made available to solicit. While I am not managing the showcase participants, I am simply displaying their talent. I am only accepting those artists that are READY TO BE HEARD. They have material that the label can work with.

I don't make money on the showcase I charge for the time involved of setting things up with our own HD player (Which allows emails to be sent from the player, making it easy as possible for A & R Reps) and for time involved for making the contacts. But I made it AFFORDABLE so that artists who have no representation can be seen by industry leaders because they deserve it!!

Peace Out!

Edited by Leisa Coffman on February 9, 2015 @ 2:37 amReply to this message by quoting it
Who can really tell on February 9, 2015 @ 4:31 amReport this post as inappropriate#2
by Miguel Morillo Miguel Morillo is currently offline. Click to send a message.
..I don't really know and we don't really know if all that C. about A&R is real, I think is an attempt to explain in a logical fashion their behaviour ... I met a few A&R in the past and they really really didn't care about talent or quality, their mind was focused on "how to get the most out of a product with the least cost"...
Do you (we) represent that ultimate goal?
--------------------------------------------------------

On February 9, 2015 Leisa Coffman wrote:

Many artists try to represent themselves in obtaining record deals etc. While this is not always a bad idea, depending on the individual but it could be an idea that could cost them.

First impressions are EVERYTHING! A & R Reps are very busy people. They are inundated with hundreds of requests a day. Imagine yourself for a moment being that bogged down with people trying to get info to you. If you ever have been in any position where people are always trying to get at you, then you will begin to understand how the A & R Rep feels.

Day in and day out, all different levels of artists try to "Get Heard" some that aren't ready for that step, while some are. With hundreds of demos in front of them, how do the reps know the demos of the ones that are ready? Bottom line is they don't know. So imagine, they grab one of those ones that aren't ready and it's been a total waste of their time. Because this happens to them a lot more than they care to say, this turns them off! You've seen it yourself on the popular American Idol show. How people who think they are ready to be heard, completely have NO BUSINESS auditioning. While it makes for good TV, (for some not me) in the privacy of an A & R reps office it is NOT all that great. They are too busy for it. This is why they like solicited music. They know its been filtered.

When you are representing yourself you are considered to be unsolicited. Even if you try to look solicited this may still fail you because you are not always the best judge of what is ready to be heard and what is not.

Keep this in mind when shopping your own deal. I have a showcase area that I have made available to solicit. While I am not managing the showcase participants, I am simply displaying their talent. I am only accepting those artists that are READY TO BE HEARD. They have material that the label can work with.

I don't make money on the showcase I charge for the time involved of setting things up with our own HD player (Which allows emails to be sent from the player, making it easy as possible for A & R Reps) and for time involved for making the contacts. But I made it AFFORDABLE so that artists who have no representation can be seen by industry leaders because they deserve it!!

Peace Out!

Reply to this message by quoting it
Re: Artists Shopping Their Own Deal posted by Promovocative on February 9, 2015 @ 7:14 amReport this post as inappropriate#3
by Leisa Coffman  
I was posting the knowledge I have with working in the industry concerning A & R Reps, so that artists are aware and understand if they are shopping their own deal, how difficult it is to "Get Heard" and WHY it is difficult and why Unsolicited a lot of times doesn't get listened to.

Talent is a "broad term" and what one person thinks is talent another may not...so I think of course they are looking for good quality and talent that sells, they are a business and it's always about the bottom line always. Nobody is in business to get in the negative. The Rep's job is to bring talent to the higher executives and decision makers, the reps themselves don't make the final decision.

Labels have loads of costs in distribution, promotion etc. So when shopping a deal, it is best to go in with full blown mastered recordings rather than demos. Bring them good stuff they can work with, that is best for the artist and the label always.

Edited by Leisa Coffman on February 9, 2015 @ 1:47 pmReply to this message by quoting it
Re: Artists Shopping Their Own Deal posted by Promovocative posted by on October 5, 2015 @ 1:45 amReport this post as inappropriate#4
by Miguel Morillo Miguel Morillo is currently offline. Click to send a message.

All of this sound like justifications, most A&R aren't serious, just opportunistic ... artists have been brain washed to believe that they are so busy selecting from the bulk of material that try to reach to them ... no, they are there to control the artist product owned by the corporation ...

On February 9, 2015 Leisa Coffman wrote:

Peace Out!

Reply to this message by quoting it
Post a Reply