Re: I am interested in how one adjusts a plastic reed posted by Tom Amenta

Related Links

Bassoon Sheet Music
to download instantly

6 posts on this topic, 1993 views

Post a Reply
plastic reeds on March 9, 2010 @ 7:51 pmReport this post as inappropriate#1
by Tom Amenta Tom Amenta is currently offline. Click to send a message.
After 30 years on cane reeds I have changed to plastic. They seem to be getting better and better. Furthermore, once adjusted they seem to play the same way all the time. no soaking, etc.
Has anyone else tried them.
-Tom Amenta
Las Vegas

Reply to this message by quoting it
Re: I am interested in how one adjusts a plastic reed on July 13, 2010 @ 8:49 pmReport this post as inappropriate#2
by Frank Evans Frank Evans is currently offline. Click to send a message.
On March 9, 2010 Tom Amenta wrote:
After 30 years on cane reeds I have changed to plastic. They seem to be getting better and better. Furthermore, once adjusted they seem to play the same way all the time. no soaking, etc.
Has anyone else tried them.
-Tom Amenta
Las Vegas

Edited by Frank Evans on July 15, 2010 @ 12:49 amReply to this message by quoting it
Re: Re: I am interested in how one adjusts a... on July 15, 2010 @ 4:18 amReport this post as inappropriate#3
by Frank Evans Frank Evans is currently offline. Click to send a message.
I'm still learning how to use this reply system. I would appreciate any info about how one adjusts plastic bassoon reeds. So far, I have found that they don't respond to scraping in the same way that cane reeds do. But, I haven't discovered how to adjust one. For example, how does one adjust a plastic reed so that it has a darker tone? Any help appreciated -- I am hoping to switch over to plastic reeds like Tom Amenta says he has done.

Re: Re: I am interested in how one adjusts a... on July 15, 2010 @ 5:07 amReport this post as inappropriate#4
by Tom Amenta Tom Amenta is currently offline. Click to send a message.
On July 15, 2010 Frank Evans wrote:
I'm still learning how to use this reply system. I would appreciate any info about how one adjusts plastic bassoon reeds. So far, I have found that they don't respond to scraping in the same way that cane reeds do. But, I haven't discovered how to adjust one. For example, how does one adjust a plastic reed so that it has a darker tone? Any help appreciated -- I am hoping to switch over to plastic reeds like Tom Amenta says he has done.

I use a small jewelers file and the usual plaque and mandril.
To make the sound brighter, I file a little off the tip. The same procedures seem to apply. I start with a medium or medium/hard reed.
They last a long time and I like that they always play the same. I take the reed out of the tube, put it on the bassoon and start to play. I currently use three different reeds. Filed each one but the same to play a bit differently. I have set one to be particularly good on low passages.
I have found that the soft reeds are too soft to allow any adjustments so now I avoid those reeds.

Re: Re: I am interested in how one adjusts a... on July 16, 2010 @ 3:42 pmReport this post as inappropriate#5
by Nik Smith Nik Smith is currently offline. Click to send a message.
I played on them once because they come with new bassoons and I liked it but it has been a few years since I played on it. I was also a beginner player then so I don't think I could tell a difference with the plastice reed compared to the cane reed.

Re: Re: I am interested in how one adjusts a... on October 9, 2012 @ 11:45 pmReport this post as inappropriate#6
by Sylwester Janiak  
My Reeds:
http://www.bassoon.pl/standard/shop/66-2-0-Bassoon-Reeds-Professional-Janiak-.html

I am bassoonist for 20 years.
My Homepage:
www.bassoon.pl
Bassoon, Bassoon Reeds,

Fagott, Fagottrohre

Post a Reply