How different is an electric guitar from an acoustic guitar posted by Nisha Jain

Related Links

Guitar Learning System
learn guitar fast & easy

Guitar Sheet Music
to download instantly

3 posts on this topic, 829 views

Post a Reply
How different is an electric guitar from an acoustic guitar on February 19, 2014 @ 6:48 amReport this post as inappropriate#1
by Nisha Jain Nisha Jain is currently offline. Click to send a message.
Hello friends,
If you know how to play an acoustic guitar, would you then instantly know how to play an electric one? (ignoring all the tuning, plugging, amplifying e.t.c.)

http://www.rhythmclassicalmusic.com/

Reply to this message by quoting it
Re: How different is an electric guitar from an... on February 24, 2014 @ 12:00 amReport this post as inappropriate#2
by Stephen Quinn Stephen Quinn is currently offline. Click to send a message.

Hi Nisha

You can easily play the same thing on an electric guitar as you would on an acoustic, as the tunings and fretboard layouts are the same. The only real physical difference is the size and feel. As acoustic bodies and necks are usually thicker/wider than electrics, switching from one to the other may take some getting used to.

Re: How different is an electric guitar from an... on March 10, 2014 @ 3:40 pmReport this post as inappropriate#3
by Tuomas Easton Tuomas Easton is currently offline. Click to send a message.

Hey,

(I mostly play keys nowadays, but have played guitar for many years as well).

I started with electric guitar about 14 years ago, and since have played more and more with acoustic. Usually, it's a further reach with your fingers on an acoustic (as the neck is wider/thicker). The higher frets on acoustic are also, IMO, more challenging to reach.

Because you can't get away with sloppiness as much with acoustic, I always find it's best to practice parts for electric ON an acoustic, to really get the muscle-memory down.

Alternatively, if you're going from Acoustic TO electric, there's the whole new world of amps/tone/noise. Learning to get the tone you want, while controlling it will probably take much longer than the actual physical playing of the electric.

-Tuomas Easton

Post a Reply