Re: How can i learn to play guitar ? posted by Nisha Jain

Related Links

Guitar Learning System
learn guitar fast & easy

Guitar Sheet Music
to download instantly

10 posts on this topic, 1173 views

Post a Reply
How can i learn to play guitar ? on April 9, 2014 @ 12:05 pmReport this post as inappropriate#1
by Nisha Jain Nisha Jain is currently offline. Click to send a message.
Hi friends,

I want to learn to play guitar. So give me some useful tips to play Guitar ..

Edited by Nisha Jain on April 14, 2014 @ 10:11 amReply to this message by quoting it
Re: How can i learn to play guitar ? on April 14, 2014 @ 6:23 pmReport this post as inappropriate#2
by Jimmy Rosetti Jimmy Rosetti is currently offline. Click to send a message.

Make sure you invest in a decent instrument. The cheaper guitars have bad action (distance of the strings to the frets) as this will hurt your finger tips as you build callouses and tends to make people get discouraged. Go to a store that will set the action for you. Cheap guitars also go out of tune easily. Expect muted sounds in the beginning, as you play those sounds will become clearer. YOu Tube has many instruction videos for you to watch, however having a good instructor with patience can be very beneficial to you. Thanks Jim www.rosettiwigley.com

Reply to this message by quoting it
Re: How can i learn to play guitar ? on April 14, 2014 @ 6:35 pmReport this post as inappropriate#3
by Bronsen Davis Euard Bronsen Davis Euard is currently offline. Click to send a message.
On April 14, 2014 Nisha Jain wrote:
Hi friends,

I've been playing guitar for 10 years and I just got accepted into a conservatory with guitar as my principle instrument. I have a lot to learn but I can give you a few tips based on my experience:

1. Practice every day. This is just a general rule for all musicians. You have to face the reality that if you don't put the work in, you won't be good.
2. Set goals for your playing. Find your role models. For a lot of people it's Hendrix or Van Halen. For me it was BB King and Pat Metheny etc. Work yourself into the ground to meet the goals you set, and realize your role models did the same thing.
3. Start with fundamentals. This means work very heavily on your picking, and on your finger positioning. I was taught as a general rule that your hand should be curved like you're holding a baseball around the neck. In other words, although it looks cool when you're experienced, your thumb should not be showing or wrapped around the neck. You'll give yourself arthritis or carpal tunnel.
4. Learn as many chords as you can and memorize them. Repetition repetition repetition. When you run out of chords, look up altered chords and inversions and voicings.
5. This one is huge: START OUT PRACTICING SLOWLY. If you can't play crazy train completely clean at 50 BPM, what makes you think you can shred it? It's gonna sound messy, and nobody likes messy guitar. You want to have it down pat before you start to speed it up.
6. SCALES. This is huge for any musician, but guitarists especially. Want to improvise? Want to sight read better? Want to learn easier? Learn your scales. Music is based on recognizable patterns. The better you know these patterns the better musician you'll be. Learn your blues scales and you'll magically become a rock star to people who don't know what scales are. Learn all your modes. (Ionian, dorian, etc.)
7. Cultivate your ear. Learn what major sounds like learn what minor sounds like, learn what a perfect fourth sounds like learn what a minor third sounds like etc. I promise you that all of that will make you a better musician and a much better guitarist.
8. Learn To Sightread. Do it early. People will tell you that it's not necessary but I promise you LEARNING IT LATE SUCKS. I would know. Work on it early and become a well rounded musician, not a dude who wants to get chicks.
9. Invest in private lessons. If you can't I understand, my family could only afford lessons for a very short time. But I learned so much that I applied to my personal studies. I highly recommend it.
10. Take yourself seriously. You are a musician. Learn everything you can. Listen to everything you can. Branch out. Get excited. Motivate yourself. That is what will make you good. I don't care what kind of music you like, all good musicians share the same qualities. You will thank yourself for being so hard on yourself. I am neurotic about making myself better because I know I can accomplish so much more. You won't be perfect. Im not perfect. I did a lot wrong. I've failed so many times. But I love making music. Keep working, and you will too. You'll be able to look back and say it was worth it.

Edited by Bronsen Davis Euard on April 14, 2014 @ 6:42 pmReply to this message by quoting it
Re: Re: How can i learn to play guitar ? on April 14, 2014 @ 7:59 pmReport this post as inappropriate#4
by Pietro Benso Pietro Benso is currently offline. Click to send a message.
[QUOTE id=24169 time=1397470282]Hi friends,

[/QUOTE]IT'S NO AN EASE PROCESS AND TAKE A LOT TIME. BUT BE POSITIVE FIND A GREAT TEACHER AND PUT ALL YOUR PASSION!! YOU CAN MAKE IT!

Re: Re: How can i learn to play guitar ? on April 14, 2014 @ 11:22 pmReport this post as inappropriate#5
by Keith Yoder Keith Yoder is currently offline. Click to send a message.
The hardest part about learning guitar is getting past the "suck" stage....That is why they call it "woodshedding" because you have to hide behind the woodshed while you "suckely practice". It doesn't matter what cheap ass guitar you play, (I have owned dozens). There is NO reason for a beginner to spend a bunch of $$$$ on gear since you don't even know what to buy! That would be like me buying a racehorse or an airplane....I know Jack Shit about either one. The best thing that you could ever buy is a metronome and USE IT!

It doesn't matter what scales or chords you learn, just learn something and learn it PERFECTLY slow with a metronome. If you learn to play fast and sloppy, then you will always play fast and sloppy. Speed comes naturally, your fingers will get strong and fast automatically but your fingers must learn perfectly slow..........DON'T FORGET THE METRONOME! Not to toot my horn but I have been playing for 35 years, 23 years professionally and I have a bachelor's degree in classical guitar and I presently teach music theory and guitar....hope this helps..

Re: Re: How can i learn to play guitar ? on August 20, 2014 @ 1:37 pmReport this post as inappropriate#6
by Emma Rusel Emma Rusel is currently offline. Click to send a message.

It all depends where you want to go with it. If you just want to strum a few chords to a song and you own a decent instrument to play on it can be fairly easy. On the other hand if you want to get more involved and learn lead guitar for Rock, Metal or Country it can be somewhat difficult.

http://longislandmusicschool.com/

NRe: How can i learn to play guitar ? posted by Nisha Jain on November 20, 2015 @ 7:56 amReport this post as inappropriate#7
by Scott Scott is currently offline. Click to send a message.

Nice info about learning the Guitar. Thank you for the Share the Relevant Information.

Re: How can i learn to play guitar ? posted by Nisha Jain on December 24, 2015 @ 3:46 pmReport this post as inappropriate#8
by jimrobitaille jimrobitaille is currently offline. Click to send a message.

Hello I teach private lessons by Skype. All levels/. I am a university music teacher and world-class professional musician and composer.

Please find all information at my website below.

Thanks, Jim

www.jimrobitaille.com

Re: How can i learn to play guitar ? posted by Nisha Jain on March 16, 2016 @ 4:53 amReport this post as inappropriate#9
by Rob De bank Rob De bank is currently offline. Click to send a message.
You can enroll on a guitar lesson and whenever you have a free time you can watch some tutorials online.

Re: How can i learn to play guitar ? posted by Nisha Jain on April 24, 2016 @ 5:43 pmReport this post as inappropriate#10
by Greg Atkinson  

I learned how to play from YouTube tutorials. The most challenging part is to start with the instrument. Here's how it usually goes for absolute beginners: you need to learn the basic things about guitar like its parts (neck, body) and strings. Then you will move on to learning the most basic, open chords and strumming patterns. Then, you'll start with some techniques (finger-picking) and bar chords. You should be persistent and not give up. Until you get that muscle memory and start doing two different movements with your hand at the same time, it will often get frustrating. But watch a lot of tutorials, practice at least 30 mins per day and just fall in love with your guitar - you'll be amazed how far you'll get

Post a Reply