First time oboe player posted by Matthew Lin

Related Links

Oboe Sheet Music
to download instantly

4 posts on this topic, 2412 views

Post a Reply
First time oboe player on September 1, 2011 @ 8:59 pmReport this post as inappropriate#1
by Matthew Lin Matthew Lin is currently offline. Click to send a message.
On wednesday my 6th grade band teacher said the oboe will be a great fit for me. So I went to buy 2 Jones Medium Soft reeds from Meyer music. I haven't got my oboe yet but I went home and soaked them in warm water for 5 minutes. I took them out and try blowing on them but it didn't work. Some people in my band class got to try out the instruments. I am trying to crow the reed but it doesn't work. I tried both and I soaked them in warm water for 5 minutes. I'm tucking my lips in so you can't see them, put the reed tip inside my mouth and blow fast focused air like those people on youtube said. Is tried searching for how to crow and oboe reed but no results. Can someone please help me?

BTW: my reed sounds like someone weezing. My grandpa had a flute and I couldn't make a sound on it either. When I blow bubbles with gum, I do it like I'm inflating my cheeks, I'm doing the same with my reed, I'm just do it like I'm inflating my cheeks except that my cheeks don't inflate when I'm doing this.

EDIT: I tried to blow very hard, and it apparently made a high pitched sound. It sounds like my tornado siren. But I have to blow so hard that my face turns red and I feel like I'm gonna pass out.

Edited by Matthew Lin on September 1, 2011 @ 9:25 pmReply to this message by quoting it
Re: First time oboe player on September 1, 2011 @ 11:15 pmReport this post as inappropriate#2
by Chad Philipps Chad Philipps is currently offline. Click to send a message.  *ADMINISTRATOR*
Hi Matthew - I wish I could help you out with this...

But, I posted this on our Facebook Page as well so I'm hoping there's someone out there who can help you with what you need...

https://www.facebook.com/MusiciansPage

Best,

Chad

Reply to this message by quoting it
Re: First time oboe player on September 2, 2011 @ 12:46 amReport this post as inappropriate#3
Thank you so much for your help!

Re: First time oboe player on September 3, 2011 @ 6:00 pmReport this post as inappropriate#4
I recently heard that the hardest part about playing oboe is the crowing part. I want to make sure that I'm crowing right. Here is a recording of me playing a single long note with no keys pressed down on an oboe http://kiwi6.com/file/c5c56do3qw is this considered a duck?

Post a Reply