Beethoven's Opus 61a posted by Setrak Setrakian

Related Links

Classical Sheet Music
to download instantly

5 posts on this topic, 4318 views

Post a Reply
Beethoven's Opus 61a on August 29, 2008 @ 3:48 amReport this post as inappropriate#1
by Setrak Setrakian Setrak Setrakian is currently offline. Click to send a message.
Opus 61a by Ludwig van Beethoven is Beethoven's own arrangement of his Violin Concerto, op. 61 for piano and orchestra. It is sometimes called his "Piano Concerto No. 6". Beethoven wrote new cadenzas for this arrangement, dedicating it to Julie von Breuning.

Reply to this message by quoting it
Re: Beethoven's Opus 61a on August 29, 2008 @ 3:58 pmReport this post as inappropriate#2
by Armando Torres Armando Torres is currently offline. Click to send a message.

Yes indeed, I know there is a recording in brilliant "complete Beethoven edition", it is suprising to hear that concerto. There is also an arrangement of the same concerto but for cello, I have that recording with Popov, the Sofia Symphonic Orchestra, conducted by Edwards, label Gega. This is a modern transcription though.

Armando Torres

composer

www.armandotorres.com.mx

[QUOTE id=5386 time=1219981706]Opus 61a by Ludwig van Beethoven is Beethoven's own arrangement of his Violin Concerto, op. 61 for piano and orchestra. It is sometimes called his "Piano Concerto No. 6". Beethoven wrote new cadenzas for this arrangement, dedicating it to Julie von Breuning.

[/QUOTE]

Re: Beethoven's Opus 61a on August 29, 2008 @ 6:09 pmReport this post as inappropriate#3
by Adam Bruce Adam Bruce is currently offline. Click to send a message.
I own the "Complete Beethoven" set (a good and worth-while purchase by the way), and have listened to the transcription with, of course, the altenate cadenzas. I still would only call it transcription though, rather than a "Piano Concerto No. 6", because even though the cadenzas are different, the thematic elements are the same overall (which is to be expected of course), and while in the formal solo concerto form (as opposed to the earlier concerto grosso) the first cadenza at the end of the primary exposition is a defining characteristic (which Beethoven altered in the transcription), in my opinion the similarity of the rest of the form to the "original" would seem to constitute it to be understood as a transcription of a composition originally for violin, rather than a piano concerto in the spirit of the other five.

Re: Beethoven's Opus 61a on August 30, 2008 @ 5:00 amReport this post as inappropriate#4
by Setrak Setrakian Setrak Setrakian is currently offline. Click to send a message.
Well thank you for useful information, I will be very happy to have Cello version, I can't find CD in Lebanon.

Re: Beethoven's Opus 61a on July 26, 2013 @ 1:31 pmReport this post as inappropriate#5
by karam Deep karam Deep is currently offline. Click to send a message.
Loved it but out of new music I love what Bram Stadhouders is doing. He is a great guy making exceptional music. Experimental, jazz or electronic whatever it is He is outstanding in all of them. He has done various collaborations with great artists such as Jim Black. As this thread is about classical music you must check out his new upcoming project called Henosis.

"Henosis" is a combination between an ambient free jazz improvisation trio and a world-class 8-piece classical choir.

Post a Reply