Charles Martin Loeffler posted by Nigel Keay

Related Links

Classical Sheet Music
to download instantly

10 posts on this topic, 2547 views

Post a Reply
Charles Martin Loeffler on March 4, 2009 @ 10:06 pmReport this post as inappropriate#1
by Nigel Keay Nigel Keay is currently offline. Click to send a message.
I recently discovered a composer that I hadn't previously been familiar with: Charles Martin Loeffler. I've just performed three songs by Loeffler for viola, voice and piano with Ondine Musique. The soprano was Amy Blake. As a violist I found the music well written for the instrument and look forward to playing more by this composer.

Edited by Nigel Keay on April 16, 2011 @ 9:21 amReply to this message by quoting it
Re: Charles Martin Loeffler on March 6, 2009 @ 3:04 pmReport this post as inappropriate#2
by John Dodson John Dodson is currently offline. Click to send a message.

[QUOTE id=4768 time=1236204373]I recently discovered a composer that I hadn't previously been familiar with: Charles Martin Loeffler. I've just performed three songs by Loeffler for viola, voice and piano with Ondine Musique. The soprano was Amy Blake. As a violist I found the music well written for the instrument and look forward to playing more by this composer.[/QUOTE]

Yes, he is a wonderful composer, and I think you'll find a terrific recording of some of his chamber music on Naxos. I conducted a performance of his Hora Mystica, Symphony in One Movement. Many passages are as good as anything by Ravel or Debussy. While it doesn't contain the symphony I believe there is a recording of some of his orchestral works made in the 70's, and there was a re-release of A Pagan Poem with Manuel Rosenthal not too long ago too. He has phenomenal orchestrations, and his was a genuinely original voice. There is a very fine biography of his life which has a fascinating chapter on the subject of why we don't play his music more. Maybe your post will encourage others to look at a neglected master.

Reply to this message by quoting it
Re: Charles Martin Loeffler on March 6, 2009 @ 9:33 pmReport this post as inappropriate#3
by Keith Perreur-lloyd Keith  Perreur-lloyd is currently offline. Click to send a message.

As a violist, I would be glad of your comments on this piece http://www.musicvenue21.com/index_files/violaconcerto21stcenturysymphonicvenue.htm

Thank you.

KPL

Charles Martin Loeffler on March 6, 2009 @ 11:12 pmReport this post as inappropriate#4
by Nigel Keay Nigel Keay is currently offline. Click to send a message.
Concerning your Viola Concerto, I can't see any score or any possibility to access one, nor hear any music. Is anyone having success in this? Although this topic is about the composer Loeffler....

Edited by Nigel Keay on March 7, 2009 @ 6:32 amReply to this message by quoting it
Re: viola score on March 6, 2009 @ 11:46 pmReport this post as inappropriate#5
by Keith Perreur-lloyd Keith  Perreur-lloyd is currently offline. Click to send a message.

The music should play automatically, although I know it isn't available through some web browsers... The joys of technology !

Try www.perreur-lloyd.com Viola Concerto.

If not can get you a CD by post if you send an address to info@perreur-lloyd.com

KPL

Re: Charles Martin Loeffler on April 18, 2009 @ 7:12 pmReport this post as inappropriate#6
by Zrabi - Alaa shaheen Zrabi - Alaa shaheen is currently offline. Click to send a message.

its a great music

Re: Charles Martin Loeffler on May 7, 2010 @ 8:54 amReport this post as inappropriate#7
by Markudson Zennat Markudson Zennat is currently offline. Click to send a message.
Yes..
I think Chales Martin Loeffler is not only wonderful,but also great and having the capability of something doing miracle.Thanks.

Re: Charles Martin Loeffler on November 10, 2011 @ 7:35 amReport this post as inappropriate#8
by rikyjake fritz  

I really like the way the writer presented his views

orange county document scanning
data culling

Re: Charles Martin Loeffler on August 15, 2012 @ 1:14 pmReport this post as inappropriate#9
by Mary Green Mary Green is currently offline. Click to send a message.

As this topic has already gathered few violists I'd like to give to you attention records that I'verecently found here. They are Beethoven's works performed by Maxim Rysanov (viola), Kristina Blaumane (cello)and Jacob Katsnelson (piano). It would be interesting for me to know youropinion about it!

Re: Charles Martin Loeffler on October 28, 2012 @ 7:46 amReport this post as inappropriate#10
by Alice Smith Alice Smith is currently offline. Click to send a message.
On August 15, 2012 Mary Green wrote:

Beethoven's works performed by Maxim Rysanov (viola), Kristina Blaumane (cello)and Jacob Katsnelson (piano). It would be interesting for me to know youropinion about it!

I've listened to this disk already. It's really great as for me, despite on the fact I'm not a violist. By the way I've recently found a new CD recorder by Maxim Rysanov and Ashley Wass at eclassical.com. This time the record calls “Pavane” and includes the compositions of Claude Debussy, Richard Dubugnon, Gabriel Faure and Maurice Ravel.

Post a Reply