Advanced sight reading (singing) posted by Peter Law

Related Links

Classical Sheet Music
to download instantly

3 posts on this topic, 660 views

Post a Reply
Advanced sight reading (singing) on June 28, 2014 @ 2:40 pmReport this post as inappropriate#1
by Peter Law Peter Law is currently offline. Click to send a message.
I have for some time now been able to sight sing anything that stays close to a tonal centre, whether that be major minor, or even modal. What I find more difficult is when a piece drifts from a particular key, it becomes much more difficult to read it in terms of a single note as a foundation.

I'm about to take up a choral scholarship at an English minster, and they seem to want a higher level of sight reading than I have. I wondered if there are any techniques that I could use in conjunction with the classic Kodaly, and how I might go about learning them.

Thanks in advance,

Peter

Reply to this message by quoting it
Re: Advanced sight reading (singing) on June 28, 2014 @ 5:06 pmReport this post as inappropriate#2
by Moshe Shulman Moshe Shulman is currently offline. Click to send a message.

Check out Walden School.. in NH next summer

Re: Advanced sight reading (singing) on June 30, 2014 @ 11:32 amReport this post as inappropriate#3
by Chris Jenks Chris  Jenks is currently offline. Click to send a message.
Hi Peter,
I teach piano and I use apps for improving students' ability to read notes.
This can work well for some people as they can use apps during their down time (say commuting to work or waiting for a bus every day).
Most of these apps work like this: they present to you a note and you have to either tap on the corresponding note or play a virtual piano-like key. You can also tweak the level of difficulty and sometimes the range, too.

There may also be similar things for singing.

Most music note recognition apps (do you have access to a phone or tablet?!) are free. Examples are:

Here are a few you could search for on your phone or tablet:

‐Android:
Note Trainer (Lite/Sight Reading)
Learn Musical Notes Flash Card (for kids) Music Tutor (Sight reading)
Learn Music Notes

-­‐iOS:
Note trainer Lite -­‐ Sight read music
Music Tutor Free (Sight Reading improver) Notes! Learn to read Music

I hope this helps,

Chris Jenks

www.chrisjenks.co.uk

Post a Reply