trying to understand this circle thing posted by Jen4 Jen4

3 posts on this topic, 663 views

Post a Reply
trying to understand this circle thing?? on October 30, 2014 @ 7:20 amReport this post as inappropriate#1
by Jen4 Jen4  
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minor_scale
im trying to understand this circle thing, it looks like a minor as a chord can be played on any instrument in each octave once & its still the same chord its just in a different octave which means its a higher tone or lower tone depending on the octave you use to play it in. so it looks like i can play the SAME a minor twice on bass & guitar & the SAME aminor 3 times on my small 32 keyed keyboard. please tell me if im wrong or if theres additional information you can give. also the root note of a minor chord is always a in every octave. i think i covered chords with that?? that being said it also looks like according to this circle thing says to me that for some reason i dont understand the sound of a minor in any octave is realative to c major also for reasons i dont understand. i see a natural sign & i dont understand does that mean natural keys can be used too & it will still be c major or a minor?? lots of lacking on the information to the natural note sign thats there. please tell me it thanks. also this circle thing says something about a Bbb what is a Bbb???? i know theres Bb but why are there two bb???? what determines a b or a bb??? is there such a thing as a bbb??? how far does this go and why does it go there & what does all that mean???? im very lost & confused on the example they give in the circle i dont understand it at all please help thanks. also what is it that makes a natural or a melodic or harmony what they are?? i understand nothing about that.
ok now i have just found this page https://www.basicmusictheory.com/minor-scales & this page says that a Bbb is not practical to play or sing im guessing??? im not sure why. please help!

Reply to this message by quoting it
trying to understand this circle thing on October 30, 2014 @ 6:53 pmReport this post as inappropriate#2
by Alain Lefébure Alain Lefébure is currently offline. Click to send a message.
A major scale is made of two tetrachords C D E F + G A B C which have a symmetric tone -semi tone distribution T T S +T T S We are in CMaj .
-If we add a new tetrachord below we must add a flat to keep the TTS distribution
so we have F-G A Bb+CDEF we are in FM

- and add a sharp to the tetrachord above GABC +D E F# G (We are in GM)

So each scale with a common tetrachord have tonic a fifth apart.

If you want to write a mirror ( opposite) scale that respects the key signature the tonic must be a major third above (E in CM) and the scale will be a descending minor scale .
Now if you want to write an ascending minor scale the tonic must be a minor third below ( A in CM) but the TTS distribution is no longer respected and the seventh degree is one tone below the tonic; so you've to add a sharp to have a leading tone (G #) in Am . This leading tone is foreign to the serie (FCGDAE B) so that explaining your misunderstanding of circle.
We could use D instead of A as tonic of the the minor relative scale of CM with a more symmetric TTS distribution than the A one but a C # is needed to form a leading tone
Since A and D cannot form a satisfactory minor image of a major scale the tonal system adopted three forms of the minor scale
The natural minor scale (or descending melodic or aelian scale) A BC D EF G A
The ascending melodic scale ( A Bc D E F# G#)- the F# avoids the undesirable augmented second interval.
The Harmonic minor scale (A BC D E F G#A

A as tonic provide the three forms of minor scale while D would provide only two aspects that why A is the adopted relative scale of CM

Is that clear ?

Edited by Alain Lefébure on October 31, 2014 @ 9:05 amReply to this message by quoting it
Re: trying to understand this circle thing?? on October 30, 2014 @ 9:37 pmReport this post as inappropriate#3
by jimmy yaeger jimmy yaeger is currently offline. Click to send a message.
[QUOTE id=27884 time=1414653659]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minor_scale
im trying to understand this circle thing, it looks like a minor as a chord can be played on any instrument in each octave once & its still the same chord its just in a different octave which means its a higher tone or lower tone depending on the octave you use to play it in. so it looks like i can play the SAME a minor twice on bass & guitar & the SAME aminor 3 times on my small 32 keyed keyboard. please tell me if im wrong or if theres additional information you can give. also the root note of a minor chord is always a in every octave. i think i covered chords with that?? that being said it also looks like according to this circle thing says to me that for some reason i dont understand the sound of a minor in any octave is realative to c major also for reasons i dont understand. i see a natural sign & i dont understand does that mean natural keys can be used too & it will still be c major or a minor?? lots of lacking on the information to the natural note sign thats there. please tell me it thanks. also this circle thing says something about a Bbb what is a Bbb???? i know theres Bb but why are there two bb???? what determines a b or a bb??? is there such a thing as a bbb??? how far does this go and why does it go there & what does all that mean???? im very lost & confused on the example they give in the circle i dont understand it at all please help thanks. also what is it that makes a natural or a melodic or harmony what they are?? i understand nothing about that.
ok now i have just found this page https://www.basicmusictheory.com/minor-scales & this page says that a Bbb is not practical to play or sing im guessing??? im not sure why. please help!
[/QUOTE]

Reply to this message by quoting it
Post a Reply