Re: What are the benefits of performing in jam... posted by

8 posts on this topic, 2743 views

Post a Reply
What are the benefits of performing in jam sessions? on November 6, 2013 @ 10:09 pmReport this post as inappropriate#1
by anonymous  
I am referring to an "Informal music education" that occurs in the space of an open jam sessions.

What skills are being learnt?

Why is playing in an ensemble unique to solo performance?

How does playing with other musicians improve musicianship and musicality? etc

What is your opinion about these platforms for informal learning? Positive? Negative? Why?

Reply to this message by quoting it
Re: What are the benefits of performing in jam... on July 9, 2014 @ 2:13 pmReport this post as inappropriate#2
by Wen Wright Wen Wright is currently offline. Click to send a message.
I found performing at jam sessions most beneficial. Â I began pursuing jazz music after coming home from a gospel tour in China. Â I had no formal training and no means to study at a University. I decided I go to the "school of the streets" and hit every jam session I could find. Â Not only did I learn song structure, how to transpose keys, and how to effectively communicate on the bandstand, I met the musicians I play with now.

Edited by Wen Wright on July 9, 2014 @ 2:15 pmReply to this message by quoting it
Re: Re: What are the benefits of performing in... on July 23, 2014 @ 12:59 pmReport this post as inappropriate#3
by Emma Rusel Emma Rusel is currently offline. Click to send a message.
Jam sessions are great, especially if you're working with someone who is a higher skill level than yourself. In that situation, it's beneficial to BOTH players (the more advanced and the not so advanced). For the newer musician you're playing with someone whose skills are more advanced than yours, and it gives you a chance to learn from their knowledge and experiences. You can learn a few tricks of the trade if you will. For the more advanced of the two, you have to constantly check and adjust for the more inexperienced musician. Some things that you are used to simply happening (such as harmonizing) you have to actually put an effort into doing.http://www.nyjazzacademy.com/

Re: Re: What are the benefits of performing in... on December 12, 2014 @ 12:15 pmReport this post as inappropriate#4
by kenneth nbroadus kenneth nbroadus is currently offline. Click to send a message.

Performing in jam really played a very important role in my life. It helped me to learn jazz completely and also gives me a confidence to perform jazz in the stage confidently.

Re: What are the benefits of performing in jam... posted by Dick on May 20, 2019 @ 10:24 pmReport this post as inappropriate#5
by Richard Eric Burnette Richard Eric Burnette is currently offline. Click to send a message.

[QUOTE id=26510 time=1406116743]Jam sessions are great, especially if you're working with someone who is a higher skill level than yourself. In that situation, it's beneficial to BOTH players (the more advanced and the not so advanced). For the newer musician you're playing with someone whose skills are more advanced than yours, and it gives you a chance to learn from their knowledge and experiences. You can learn a few tricks of the trade if you will. For the more advanced of the two, you have to constantly check and adjust for the more inexperienced musician. Some things that you are used to simply happening (such as harmonizing) you have to actually put an effort into doing.http://www.nyjazzacademy.com/

[/QUOTE]

I think Jam sessions are very beneficial. They can be as different as day and night but generally they help one1) personally interact with musicians of many venues, 2) technally size up against the rest,3) increase potential for filling a need, and3) you could even get your own night! The key is to be cool and learn.

Re: What are the benefits of performing in jam... posted by Dick on May 28, 2019 @ 8:31 amReport this post as inappropriate#6
by Chelsey Bobby Chelsey Bobby is currently offline. Click to send a message.

I have the same question too.

Re: What are the benefits of performing in jam... posted by Dick on May 28, 2019 @ 8:33 amReport this post as inappropriate#7
by Chelsey Bobby Chelsey Bobby is currently offline. Click to send a message.

On December 12, 2014 kenneth nbroadus wrote:

Performing in jam really played a very important role in my life. It helped me to learn jazz completely and also gives me a confidence to perform jazz in the stage confidently.

Thanks, you means that it give a positive energy.

Re: What are the benefits of performing in jam... posted by Dick on May 29, 2019 @ 7:36 pmReport this post as inappropriate#8
by Richard Eric Burnette Richard Eric Burnette is currently offline. Click to send a message.

Written on November 6, 2013:
I am referring to an "Informal music education" that occurs in the space of an open jam sessions.

What skills are being learnt?

Why is playing in an ensemble unique to solo performance?

How does playing with other musicians improve musicianship and musicality? etc

What is your opinion about these platforms for informal learning? Positive? Negative? Why?

Post a Reply