Stuck in songwriting posted by
3 posts on this topic, 1948 views
|Sometimes I get stuck in my songwriting. I think all of us do. Here are some things I do to get unstuck:|
1) Listen to Music I haven't heard before.
2) Go to a "word a day" website to grab a random word/idea.
3) Read some poems for a paraphrase/sideways leap for a particularly pretty phrase.
4) Pick a random word. Find a thesaurus - do a random five-step jump through the thesaurus. Find an alliterative word for the one you've ended up with.
5) Use a list of quotes.
6) Look in Sheila Davis' "Songwriter's Idea Book" for ideas.
7) Follow the other Musician.
1) Write obliquely - write the song directly and then write in metaphor about what's happening in the song.
That's a quick list off the top of my head. Anyone got others?
Now if there were only some way to make melodies/underlying chord changes easier to generate...
|Edited by anonymous on February 4, 2012 @ 8:46 am|
It comes naturally for me, some days I can try for hours, other days I write it in 5 to 10 min! Thats me )
|Musical ideas can come from unsual places,I got an idea for a song,|
from reading a book about South America. Once you feel the flow,trust
the direction you're going in. You can listen to it later,to find out if it
Helping musicians get airplay since 2004!
"This is a wonderful service. Thank you." - Jermaine Archiba
High quality classical sheet music to download instantly.
© 1999-2018 Musicians Page and Virtual Sheet Music, Inc. All Rights Reserved.