Wh posted by Alexx Sloan Warju

11 posts on this topic, shown 1-11, 2125 views

Post a Reply
Help finishing lyrics and fixing what I already have. on August 28, 2009 @ 2:11 amReport this post as inappropriate#1
by Alexx Sloan Warju Alexx Sloan Warju is currently offline. Click to send a message.
I've been trying to write songs for a while and struggle with hardcore cases of writers block constantly, or so it seems. Because of this most songs I try to create don't get passed a line or two. That's why I've decided to come for help.

This is what I have so far and it is more just short snippets if that, so don't get confused at the lack of song structure here:

Slap a bandage on that heart
Hope it sticks and keeps the pieces (together)
Once ones gone you've lost it all

Just another bandage love song
Another dirty symphony.
Boy Girl it hurts alike.
Sit back and watch your hearts bleed.

He said it'd never happen again
just a lapse [of control]
She told you he meant nothing
a drunken mistake

But, but, but
It's all just another Bandage love song

() = an unsure word
[] = a spoken word

So, I'm going for a more alternative rock-ish fast song sound rather than pop. I also worried the lyrics are a bit too childish.

I'm a bit terrified to post this as I'm constantly scared of how others will treat my work, but I'm biting the bullet here. Please help me with lyric help, critiques, and general feedback.
When writing what little I have, I think I was channeling something like Tracy Bonham and maybe a bit of Cassie Steele's new album.

Reply to this message by quoting it
Re: Help finishing lyrics and fixing what I... on August 28, 2009 @ 12:38 pmReport this post as inappropriate#2
by Mach10Music Mach10Music is currently offline. Click to send a message.
Hi Alexx,

This may or may not be what you're looking for, but I thought I'd throw it out there. I do music composition, and song arrangement and consulting for a living. I do a lot of it "long distance", too. True, I charge for these services, but many songwriter/lyricists have worked with me, and have been happy with the result. I personally don't feel your song seems "childish", but rather observant, and maybe a bit playful, but art can do that. Making the lyrics truly complete is definitely an imporant challenge, and does need to be done. Do you work on melodies as well? This can be a big help in completing your lyrics, since the two can be symbiotic. Sorry to keep this short, but I wanted to say hello.

Marc L Soucy
AudioMusicVoice.com

Hi Alexx, on August 28, 2009 @ 2:36 pmReport this post as inappropriate#3
by Paul Lyndman Paul Lyndman is currently offline. Click to send a message.
On August 28, 2009 Alexx Sloan Warju wrote:
I've been trying to write songs for a while and struggle with hardcore cases of writers block constantly, or so it seems. Because of this most songs I try to create don't get passed a line or two. That's why I've decided to come for help.

This is what I have so far and it is more just short snippets if that, so don't get confused at the lack of song structure here:

Another dirty symphony.
Boy Girl it hurts alike.

a drunken mistake

But, but, but
It's all just another Bandage love song

() = an unsure word
[] = a spoken word

So, I'm going for a more alternative rock-ish fast song sound rather than pop. I also worried the lyrics are a bit too childish.

I'm a bit terrified to post this as I'm constantly scared of how others will treat my work, but I'm biting the bullet here. Please help me with lyric help, critiques, and general feedback.
When writing what little I have, I think I was channeling something like Tracy Bonham and maybe a bit of Cassie Steele's new album.

Re: Help finishing lyrics and fixing what I... on August 28, 2009 @ 3:16 pmReport this post as inappropriate#4
by Paul Lyndman Paul Lyndman is currently offline. Click to send a message.
Ok, this time, If you feel strongly about the subject you're trying to write about you will find that you will be able to get pen to paper with greater ease.
The subject matter will almost find it's own way on to the lyrical sheet.

Don't be concerned about the embarrassment of childishness like lyrics, if every musician was this way, nothing would be written at all unless you're writing for a kiddies show.

Sometimes a song takes a little longer to evolve but don't move away from it for too long, you may loose the initial spark you'll find hard to return to and it may dissipate.
Once you start on a score or song try and stick with it and finish it in one session, of course you're allowed a tea break.

Be structural in terms of verse/chorus/bridge/solo etc. come back later for intro's/outro's especially when dealing with pop, this will also help with the structure and fitting of the phrasing into the verses/choruses etc.

Writing and composing songs is a bit like running for fitness, the more often you run the fitter you get, the easier it becomes.

Hopefully some of this will help.

Good luck!
Paul.

Re: Help finishing lyrics and fixing what I... on August 29, 2009 @ 2:37 amReport this post as inappropriate#5
by Sabrina Annette Pugh Sabrina  Annette Pugh is currently offline. Click to send a message.

Hello,

Pardon me if I'm not on the same page. Are you looking for something different?

Love can tear a man apart
Love and the stormy weather
Salty tears! Painful calls

Another dirty symphony.
Feels so right but o' so wrong
Hiding its identity
Boy Girl it hurts alike.
let it go. stay and fight
Damn love and the trickery

Just another link to his chain
Same old story told

a drunken mistake
foolish heart 'o too trusting
Damn love, damn heartache
But, but, but was that a stutter
Or camouflage for another lie
Don't trust her
Just a Con seeking another ride
It’s all just another Bandage love song.

Re: Help finishing lyrics and fixing what I... on August 29, 2009 @ 3:48 amReport this post as inappropriate#6
by Alexx Sloan Warju Alexx Sloan Warju is currently offline. Click to send a message.
On August 29, 2009 Sabrina Annette Pugh wrote:

Hello,

Pardon me if I'm not on the same page. Are you looking for something different?

Love can tear a man apart
Love and the stormy weather
Salty tears! Painful calls

Another dirty symphony.
Feels so right but o' so wrong
Hiding its identity
Boy Girl it hurts alike.
let it go. stay and fight
Damn love and the trickery

Just another link to his chain
Same old story told

a drunken mistake
foolish heart 'o too trusting
Damn love, damn heartache
But, but, but was that a stutter
Or camouflage for another lie
Don't trust her
Just a Con seeking another ride
It's all just another Bandage love song.

Exactly what I was looking for! Thank you soo much.

Wh on January 14, 2014 @ 5:48 amReport this post as inappropriate#7
by Steven Nettles Steven Nettles is currently offline. Click to send a message.

When writing lyrics.. I generally use the same philosphy as writing music... "The art is not in the writing but rewriting"...

Usually to communicate a certain thought or idea after I brainstorm a guide lyric.. I try singing it to get the meter and phrasing right.. Because its gonna be put to music at some piont.. so this is critical...

Then for sure you gonna to run in to some phrasing issues... thats when I start subsituting words that communicate the same idea as my original words but more singable.. Having a thesauras is helpful and a rhyming dictionary.(Rhyming dictionary.. by Bessie Redfield..) there are many others..

I Start with a clever chorus line and and try to write verses that support the "hook" kinda like telling the story... there are few Song forms you can use... aaba or baa baa.. etc.. and continue the brainstormin and rewriting until you get your idea across in as few words as possible using the singable vowels.. A E I O U and also .. go through it once to see if there are words or adverbs i can delete that aren't neccessary to communicate your ideas

I hope this helps you some

Edited by Steven Nettles on January 14, 2014 @ 5:53 amReply to this message by quoting it
Re: Wh on February 2, 2014 @ 5:08 pmReport this post as inappropriate#8
by Adam Csapo  
If you have some free time, read this please!

http://igg.me/p/660197/x/6170612

Have a nice day!

Adam

crowdfunding on February 2, 2014 @ 5:09 pmReport this post as inappropriate#9
by Adam Csapo  
If you have some free time, read this please!

http://igg.me/p/660197/x/6170612

Have a nice day!

Adam

Re: Wh on February 20, 2014 @ 3:00 pmReport this post as inappropriate#10
by Stephen Quinn Stephen Quinn is currently offline. Click to send a message.

Everyone has their own writing style. If you ever use rhyming patterns start with a pair of rhyming words and find ways to join them up with words in between, keeping in mind the theme/subject.

Re: Wh posted by Alexx Sloan Warju on August 1, 2015 @ 4:49 pmReport this post as inappropriate#11
by AURA AURA is currently offline. Click to send a message.

Vote your favorite song on our newest album! Help us choose a single! Access this souncloud link that will be public only for 3 days https://soundcloud.com/aura1music/sets/aura-falling-sky and after you listen to our songs, tell us which one you consider to be the best! Your votes will decide on what song we should film a video clip!!

Thank You!

AURA - https://www.facebook.com/auramusic?ref=hl

Post a Reply