Re: Question: Where to find a market for music - and copyright. posted posted by Matthew Stones

9 posts on this topic, 91536 views

Post a Reply
Question: Where to find a market for music - and copyright. on February 25, 2016 @ 8:15 pmReport this post as inappropriate#1
by Matthew Stones  

Hello there!

I compose a little bit of music - and play it as well - but I really don't have any idea on where and how I can publish and selll my music. Do any of you know where I can find a market for sheet music, or for recorded music tracks? I mean; is youtube a good place to start? Is there money to get there? Or is it more to get the music "out"?

I also wonder what rights I have on my music if I publish it on the web. Do I automatically get copyright on my works, or do I have to ask any "The International Service For Copyright" for it? I haven't been into this before...

Than you!

Reply to this message by quoting it
Re: Question: Where to find a market for music - and copyright. posted on February 26, 2016 @ 11:09 amReport this post as inappropriate#2
by Drinking Pills Drinking Pills is currently offline. Click to send a message.

Hi Matthew,

You can use such platforms as Distrokid or Tunecore to get your music to all the main stores on the web. The fees are low and they are really worth it. These platforms assign an ISRC to your every single song and let you keep 100% of your rights for your tracks. They also have additional charges like, for instance, someone uses your music in a commercial youtube video, they can charge those dudes for doing so and pay you your share.

The thing is that these platforms do not promote you in any way, so you need to find some other ways to reveal yourself as a good musician and become popular.

Re: Question: Where to find a market for music - and copyright. posted on February 27, 2016 @ 10:51 amReport this post as inappropriate#3
by druidsong druidsong is currently offline. Click to send a message.

There are actually several questions here, some of which are very slippery. Copyright applies both to the recording and the music, and should be claimed on both. In addition to that, there is the question of "mechanical reproduction" rights, usually signified by the same (R) symbol as a trademark.

"Copyright" applies to the content. This means both the written and recorded material. Technically, copyright protection can be claimed by simply including a copyright statement on the sheet music and embedded somewhere in the text accompanying the recording, i.e. liner notes.for example, the liner notes for my CDs all include the statement "Copyright (C) 2016 - DruidSong Production LLC."

More formally, you can register the copyright with the US government. See www.copyright.gov for details.

Copyright protection means that you get royalties on the song itself rather than on the recording. If someone decides to "cover" the song, or purchase the sheet music, you get royalty payments.

Reproduction rights are protection for the actual recording. It is through these rights that you claim royalties on performances of the recording. It can be claimed as simply as copyright, by including a statement to that effect in the text accompanying the recording. Again, referring to the liner notes for my CDs, an example would be "Reproduction Rights reserved, (R) 2016 DruidSong Productions LLC."

The reproduction rights get you royalties if someone uses your recording. for example, if an advertising agency uses your recording as background music for a commercial, you get paid.

If both cases, copyright and reproduction rights, the statement must include the year and the name of the entity claiming the rights. The statements should also include what rights are being claimed.

I am not an attorney, but this is the mechanism I use to protect my work.

Re: Question: Where to find a market for music - and copyright. posted on February 27, 2016 @ 4:12 pmReport this post as inappropriate#4
by Ciro Ciscognetti Ciro Ciscognetti is currently offline. Click to send a message.

Ciao Matthew

I am an Italian musician and I joined the Italian Composer , Autors Society ( S.I.A.E. ) in the 1976 . Since I have always had my compositions and songs full protected . What I can add to enlarge what the others have already written is this :

1° - Find an association where you can deposit your compositions .

2° - Ask to join them subscribing your self and ( as in my example ) submit to them the FULL parts of music and words ( or music only if there is not a text ) . Music must be FULLY written or printed on a music sheet . The association should ask you, through the filling of some paper or maybe on line , more informations about the composition and the way you want to protect it and they also ask your signature on what you declare .

3° - After a little time ( in my case after one month ) you should get back a number code refered to the work you have sbmitted to them .

4° - At this point you can send your music wherever you want , and if or when it is reproduced , for any purpose , you are protected and you should get back some money net of taxes . When and how much money you can get it depends on the conditions of your association .

Now some suggestions coming from my experience , about the way it works with the SIAE :

If the compostion ( only music or song ) has an Editor ( who provvide to the editions of your music making it buyble in a music shop or on line ) then the quotation ( in money ) of your composition raise up a little compared if it is without an Editor .

Obviously BEFORE to join with an editor ( because you will be asked to sign something that gives 1/3 or even more of copyrights of YOUR composition to the Editor ) check WHAT this person can REALLY do to improve the marketing of your compositions . There are many editors that can promise " the Moon " and once signed up a contract with the composer they do very little or almost nothing .

Hoping I have been of some help ....... Ciao and good luck .

Re: Question: Where to find a market for music - and copyright. posted on February 27, 2016 @ 5:29 pmReport this post as inappropriate#5
by TimM TimM is currently offline. Click to send a message.

Tim here. Buy the book SONGWRITING FOR IDIOTS (FROM THE IDOT SERIES). And, read "THE CRAFT OF LYRIC WRITING; and Songwriters Idea Book written SHEILA DAVIS. These books have tons of information in them.- better yet, go to the ASCAP website or NASI site and join both and take from an inexhaustable wealth of resources available. Tim mercurymorris1974@gmail.com

PS: Jerry Vandiver's book is a jewel also! T.

On February 25, 2016 Matthew Stones wrote:

Hello there!

I compose a little bit of music - and play it as well - but I really don't have any idea on where and how I can publish and selll my music. Do any of you know where I can find a market for sheet music, or for recorded music tracks? I mean; is youtube a good place to start? Is there money to get there? Or is it more to get the music "out"?

I also wonder what rights I have on my music if I publish it on the web. Do I automatically get copyright on my works, or do I have to ask any "The International Service For Copyright" for it? I haven't been into this before...

Than you!

Re: Question: Where to find a market for music - and copyright. posted on February 28, 2016 @ 9:17 pmReport this post as inappropriate#6
by Anfisa Vitali Anfisa Vitali is currently offline. Click to send a message.

Hello, beginner. Is so nice to writing songs and make a dreams. But you need to make professional recording to sale your music and becomes famous to get money. Try CD BABY web site and TUNECORE. They will give you instructions. Youtube is good only for promotion. Good luck.

Hello there!

Than you!

Re: Question: Where to find a market for music - and copyright. posted on March 1, 2016 @ 12:56 pmReport this post as inappropriate#7
by Robbie Alan Robbie Alan is currently offline. Click to send a message.

Hello there!

Than you!

You could try cdbaby.com. cdbaby is the largest music distribution company

in the world,and it's run by musicians.They don't take control of your

copyright;you're in full control of your music.Filling a copyright with the library of congress is the best way to protect your intellectual property.

I also recommend Doland Passmans book about the music business.

Doland passman has handled a lot of major acts,and he knows the ins and out of the business.

Re: Question: Where to find a market for music - and copyright. posted on March 7, 2016 @ 7:53 pmReport this post as inappropriate#8
by Oliver Bond Oliver Bond is currently offline. Click to send a message.

Hi there!

I consider YouTube to be an ideal place to start promoting your music. If you want a better result in a short time, you can buy views on youtube via http://themarketingheaven.com/buy-youtube-views/ . Every artist that I know uses this service in some kind of way. The likes of my youtube video has increased and am happy with the results.

Edited by Oliver Bond on March 7, 2016 @ 7:55 pmReply to this message by quoting it
Re: Question: Where to find a market for music - and copyright. posted on March 14, 2016 @ 4:00 pmReport this post as inappropriate#9
by Matthew Stones  

Thanks a lot, guys!

Post a Reply