Advice on Orchestration using MIDI/VSTs posted by Tuomas Easton

5 posts on this topic, 1346 views

Post a Reply
Advice on Orchestration using MIDI/VSTs on March 4, 2014 @ 9:50 pmReport this post as inappropriate#1
by Tuomas Easton Tuomas Easton is currently offline. Click to send a message.
I've always been a fan of orchestration in music and scoring, and have thus far mainly used Reason for it. I have various samples, and even some old soundfonts that I have combined to get the closest-to-'real' sound I can. As mainly a keyboard / keytar player, recording the actual string instruments isn't really an option for me, I've just been using midi controllers and keyboards to do the best I can.

Does anyone have any software suggestions or tips on how to make strings/orchestra sound more 'real'?

thanks!

-Tuomas Easton

Here is an example of my Orchestration so far.

Reply to this message by quoting it
Re: Advice on Orchestration using MIDI/VSTs on March 5, 2014 @ 2:51 amReport this post as inappropriate#2
by Guillermo P. Guillermo P. is currently offline. Click to send a message.

Yes. If you're using an ipad, a good app to use is symphony Pro. Which you're able to export your compositions in MIDI inout.
If you need any composition jobs, hit me up any time.

Re: Advice on Orchestration using MIDI/VSTs on March 6, 2014 @ 4:05 pmReport this post as inappropriate#3
by Luana Ioannou Luana Ioannou is currently offline. Click to send a message.

Best way is to get a real (VST) orchestra. And the best orchestra sound for VST instruments are Vienna Symphonic Library or EastWest/Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra. Both are huge and idk, need to check the system requirement wich is quite hm... high.

Re: Advice on Orchestration using MIDI/VSTs on March 8, 2014 @ 9:31 pmReport this post as inappropriate#4
by Tuomas Easton Tuomas Easton is currently offline. Click to send a message.
Thanks! I've heard of East/West and wasn't sure how complicated it might be to learn the program. I'll check into it!

-Tuomas Easton

Re: Advice on Orchestration using MIDI/VSTs on March 13, 2014 @ 10:39 amReport this post as inappropriate#5
by Dan Kaisk Dan Kaisk is currently offline. Click to send a message.
The industry standard for sample library's is Native Instruments Kontakt, it is a very powerful and flexible sample library player.

Post a Reply