Kevin John Mallon Resume
| Conductor, Kevin Mallon, grew up in Belfast, Northern Ireland. A scholarship brought him to Manchester's specialist music school, Chethams School of Music where he was greatly influenced by the conductor and early music specialist John Eliot Gardiner. Later studies included composition with Peter Maxwell Davies at Dartington College Of Arts and violin at the Royal Northern College of Music.
For four years (1989-1992) he was concert- master of Le Concert Spirituel and Les Arts Florissants in Paris. With these groups, he recorded and performed concerts all over Europe, including Vienna, London (Wigmore Hall), Berlin, Paris (Versailles), Russia, The Baltic States, China, and Japan. In 1993 he accepted positions with the University of Toronto and Tafelmusik Baroque Orchestra—positions he has now left in order to pursue his conducting career.
In 1996 he was invited to be Music Director of the vocal and instrumental group the Aradia Ensemble. With Aradia he has achieved extraordinary success. They have recorded over forty CDs for the Naxos label, have made two music videos, one film soundtrack, have collaborated with Isadora Duncan and Baroque dancers, and have co-produced opera and worked with Balinese Gamelan. In July 2000, they were the featured ensemble in the New Zealand International Chamber Music Festival and in the summer of 2003 they performed in the festival: "Musica nel Chiostro", in Tuscany.
Kevin Mallon is also Music Director of the Toronto Chamber Orchestra - a group made up of some of Toronto's best orchestral musicians. They have recorded twelve CDs for Naxos including Vivaldi's Four Seasons and CPE Flute concerti (with Patrick Gallois) and a series of 18th century symphonies.
He has conducted the contemporary opera company Opera Anonymous-- Stravinsky's Rakes Progress (1999), and the early 19th century opera Lucas et Cecile by Canadian Joseph Quesnel (2001). More recently with Toronto's Opera in Concert, he has conducted Handel's Semele (2002) and Rameau's Castor and Pollux (2003), Handel's Rinaldo (2004) and Vivaldi's La Griselda (2006), Mozart's Zaide (2007), Handel's Tamerlano (2008) and Haydn's Il mondo della luna (2009).
With the Toronto Operetta Theatre has conducted Wiener Blut by Johann Strauss (2006) LehĂˇr's The Merry Widow (2007) and Count of Luxemburg (2008).
In 2004 the Gramophone and BBC magazines featured major profiles of Mr. Mallon. (His recording of Boyce symphonies won a Gramophone Editors choice award in August 2005 and his recording of Handel's Watermusic and Royal Fireworks Music won the same award in March 2006). He also fulfills numerous invitations to guest conduct.
In Ireland he was appointed Artistic Director of Opera 2005, Ireland's newest opera company, formed to celebrate Cork's tenure as European Capital of Culture. With this company he has conducted Mozarts Figaro's Wedding (2005), Bizets's Carmen (2005), Weill's Threepenny Opera (2006) and Rossini's Barber of Seville (2006), LehĂˇr's The Merry Widow (2007) and Verdi's Un ballo in maschera (2008)
Kevin Mallon is also interested in Irish traditional Music and plays in the Toronto- based Dulaman.
Discography Records for Naxos records as either violinist/Director or Conductor
• Caldara Vaticini di Pace Aradia
• Lully Ballet music for the Sun King Aradia
• Purcell Tempest Aradia
• Charpentier NoĂ«ls and Christmas Motes Aradia
• Bach Christmas Cantatas Aradia
Vivaldi Four Seasons Toronto Camerata
• Vanhal Masses Aradia
• Van Wassener Concerti Armonico Aradia
• Charpentier Christmas Motets vol2 Aradia
• Buxtehude Alto cantatas Aradia
• CPE Bach Flute concerti, P. Gallois 2cds Toronto Camerata
• Charpentier Te Deum . Messe de Minuit Aradia
• Rameau Castor and Pollux- 2cds Opera in Concert
• St. George violin concerti Toronto Camerata
• Boyce Symphonies opus 2 Aradia
• Sammartini Symphonies Aradia
• Handel concerti grossi op.6 ( 3 volumes) Aradia
• Vivaldi Scared Music vol. 1 Aradia
• Vanhal Symphonies Toronto Camerata
Ordonez Symphonies Toronto Camerata
• Samuel Arnold Symphonies Toronto Camerata
• Handel Rinaldo 3 cds Opera in Concert
• Haydn symphonies 14-21 2cds Toronto Camerata
• Vivaldi Scared Music vol. 2 Aradia
• Handel Watermusik/Fireworks music Aradia
Pichl symphonies Toronto Chamber Orchestra
• Vivaldi opera, Griselda (3 cds) Opera in Concert
• Leopold Mozart symphonies Toronto Chamber Orchestra
• Vivaldi Scared Music vol. 3 Aradia
• Cimarosa Over
Updated: February 6, 2009
Join the Virtual Sheet Music® Affiliate Program to earn cash instantly (30% commission)
© 1999-2017 Musicians Page and Virtual Sheet Music, Inc. All Rights Reserved.