Re: Stuck in songwriting posted by posted by
Sometimes I get stuck in my songwriting. I think all of us do. Here are some things I do to get unstuck:|
1) Listen to Music I haven't heard before.
2) Go to a "word a day" website to grab a random word/idea.
3) Read some poems for a paraphrase/sideways leap for a particularly pretty phrase.
4) Pick a random word. Find a thesaurus - do a random five-step jump through the thesaurus. Find an alliterative word for the one you've ended up with.
5) Use a list of quotes.
6) Look in Sheila Davis' "Songwriter's Idea Book" for ideas.
7) Follow the other Musician.
1) Write obliquely - write the song directly and then write in metaphor about what's happening in the song.
That's a quick list off the top of my head. Anyone got others?
Now if there were only some way to make melodies/underlying chord changes easier to generate...
Notice: This Website takes advantage of web standards that your browser may be unable to support. This site may not display in the way it was intended in some browsers. However the page content should still be perfectly viewable in any internet capable device.
© 1999-2021 Musicians Page and Virtual Sheet Music, Inc. All Rights Reserved.