Barry Mitchell Resume
• Postgraduate degree and honours degree in Music, first class honours degree in Classical Studies & Religious Studies
• Significant experience of teaching music in higher education
• Author of degree-level distance learning music history courses
• Composer with a track record of performance and publication
• Experience of record production at world class studios
• Experienced music examiner and dissertation supervisor
• Former reviewer for the Times Higher Education Supplement
• Experienced University of Bristol administrator
1997 to now: Rose Bruford College of Speech and Drama, Lamorbey Park, Burnt Oak Lane, Sidcup, Kent, DA15 9DF
• Tutor for Opera Studies degree
• Module author, writer of three degree-level modules
• Second level coordinator with responsibility for student counseling
• Residential schools tutor
• Dissertation supervisor
1986–2009 (excluding 2001-08): The Open University, Walton Hall, Milton Keynes MK7 6AA
• Tutor, undergraduate music and arts courses
• Assistant Senior Counselor, exam preparation workshops
• Residential Schools Tutor
1985-1989 and 2009-now: The Workers' Educational Association, Bluecoat Chambers, Liverpool and Wilder Court, Bristol
• Music Tutor
• English Language tutor
2007-now: www.barrymitchellmusic.com, 29 Kingston Ave, Bradford on Avon
• music by Barry Mitchell
• resources for the study of the history and theory of music
2003–2005: Dental Postgraduate Department, University of Bristol, Bristol Dental Hospital, Bristol BS1 2LY
• BUOLD (Bristol University Open Learning for Dentists) Coordinator
• Administering a postgraduate distance learning dental studies diploma
May 2002-Dec 2002: University of Bristol, Senate House, Tyndall Avenue
• Assistant to the Registrar's PA
• Organising student registration
Apr 1997-Jun1999: Edexcel Foundation, Russell Square, London
• Visiting Examiner for A level music performing papers
Jan-March 1996: Bath University Centre for Continuing Education, Claverton Down, Bath
• Music Lecturer
Jan-Nov 1996: Swindon College of Further Education, Regent's Circus, Swindon
• Performing Arts Lecturer, A level Theatre Studies
1991-2000 BA (Hons) (Open) (1:1) The Open University
1980-1982 M.A. (Music, composition) The Queen`s University of Belfast
1976-1980 B. Mus. (2:1) The Queen`s University of Belfast
Distance Learning courses published
Opera in Context, (with T Barfoot, D Chisholm & R Cannon), Rose Bruford College, 2004. Subsequent editions 2005-9.
Romanticism and Its Sources, Rose Bruford College, 1999. Subsequent editions 2000-09.
The Baroque, Rose Bruford College, 1999. Subsequent editions 2000-08.
Some awards, performances and cd releases
2006: Reiki Relaxation, CD, ambient music, distributed by BreatheLifeCoaching, Nafplio, Greece, www.breathelifecoaching.com
2005: Ariadne, CD, music for chamber ensemble, perf. Locrian Ensemble, distributed by Cinecall Soundtracks, New York. www.cinecall.com
2004: Ensembles, CD, chamber music production album, perf. Locrian Ensemble, publ. Mokal Music, Portland, USA, www.mokalmusic.com
1990: The Bridge performed by Akanthos, conducted by Christopher Gayford, the Phoenix Theatre, Leicester as part of the SPNM`s first regional day.
1989: The Three Dancers performed by the Patterson Wind Quintet as part of an SPNM workshop at the Royal Academy of Music, London.
1987: The Circus performed by Gemini as part of the annual SPNM Composer`s Forum at Glasgow`s Musica Nova Festival.
Updated: January 21, 2010
Notice: This Website takes advantage of web standards that your browser may be unable to support. This site may not display in the way it was intended in some browsers. However the page content should still be perfectly viewable in any internet capable device.
© 1999-2023 Musicians Page and Virtual Sheet Music, Inc. All Rights Reserved.