Re: Becoming a music teacher posted by Last Minute Musicians posted by Last Minute Musicians

13 posts on this topic, shown 1-13, 7619 views

Post a Reply
Becoming a music teacher on February 27, 2014 @ 1:41 pmReport this post as inappropriate#1
by Last Minute Musicians  Last Minute Musicians  is currently offline. Click to send a message.
Hi,

I don't know whether this has been covered before, but i'm interested in writing an article about music teachers. How do you become one, what qualifications (if any) are required, is it important to have music industry knowledge etc?

Lastly, in a day and age of the internet and online learning tools - are music teachers a thing of the past?

Interested to hear people's thoughts!

Reply to this message by quoting it
Re: Becoming a music teacher on June 24, 2014 @ 8:38 amReport this post as inappropriate#2
by PinayWiz PinayWiz is currently offline. Click to send a message.

Reacting to your comments about curiosity on the music teachers, i'd like to give you a few tips: first of all, one has to have finish a certificate or degree in music education ( in a music college), with a major instrument such as piano or voice and having the talent for an instrument or singing is also a prerequisite.
Second, teaching is a gift or an acquired skill coupled with a love for children; third, a music teacher must possess traits of patience and wit in order to last in this profession. Last but not the least, most teachers are also musicians so as to break the monotony of the profession.

I should know since i am one of them :-)

Re: Becoming a music teacher on July 7, 2014 @ 5:46 pmReport this post as inappropriate#3
by paul abrahams  

Although I run an online video course called Learn Jazz Piano Online, I have to say that there is no substitute for a real teacher in the room with you. When I work with my students we use two pianos, and I'm giving them the experience of playing along with another musician.

As far as qualifications, because I teach jazz, there is no formal qualification necessary although it does help that I've been working as a pro keyboard player for over 40 years.

Similarly, I worked on many musicals as a Musical Director but there was no course to prepare me. Nobody showed me how to do it. I had to learn for myself.

Lastly, and this may sound obvious, but to be a music teacher you have to love teaching. It should never be something you do because you're not playing. There are many wonderful musicians out there that make terrible teachers!

Re: Becoming a music teacher on November 1, 2014 @ 1:35 amReport this post as inappropriate#4
by Peter Carr Peter Carr is currently offline. Click to send a message.
[QUOTE id=16090 time=1403595528]
Reacting to your comments about curiosity on the music teachers, i'd like to give you a few tips: first of all, one has to have finish a certificate or degree in music education ( in a music college), with a major instrument such as piano or voice and having the talent for an instrument or singing is also a prerequisite.
Second, teaching is a gift or an acquired skill coupled with a love for children; third, a music teacher must possess traits of patience and wit in order to last in this profession. Last but not the least, most teachers are also musicians so as to break the monotony of the profession.

I should know since i am one of them :-)

[/QUOTE]

Just a few words re-music diploma's I am very experienced in drums/percussion and found when I approached a uni to study they won't accept that I wanted to use drums as my study base why??? you can't have any orchestra without drums etc so why not get a degree doing this beats me I don't play any other musical instrument, this is Australia by the way might differ elsewhere your thoughts

mrcarr5@gmail.com

Re: Becoming a music teacher on December 12, 2014 @ 12:43 pmReport this post as inappropriate#5
by kenneth nbroadus kenneth nbroadus is currently offline. Click to send a message.

For becoming a music teacher you need to have a proper knowledge and education regarding music. you can do graduation in music. All over the world there are many schools and colleges available from where you can complete your studies on music and then you can start your journey of becoming a music teacher.

Re: Becoming a music teacher on December 12, 2014 @ 11:57 pmReport this post as inappropriate#6
by Peter Carr Peter Carr is currently offline. Click to send a message.

In answer to all replies re-music teachers.

First I can read all percussion charts and have been teaching privately.

I do not subscribe to the idea that one has to do something else just to aquire a dip in music in order to teach at colleges just drums and nothing else, there needs to be another way of just getting credited for teaching just percussion.

I am very experienced and an older person who has played with many world famous musicians/vocalists not just in Australia but in EU /Eire /USA etc I was involved with a Eurovision entry for Ireland many years ago when I played and arranged the entry and it got to number 2.

HAPPY SEASONS GREETINGS TO ALL

PC

Re: Becoming a music teacher posted by Last Minute Musicians on November 16, 2015 @ 7:10 amReport this post as inappropriate#7
by Scott Scott is currently offline. Click to send a message.

I worked on many musicals as a Musical Director but there was no course to prepare me. Nobody showed me how to do it. I had to learn for myself.

Re: Becoming a music teacher posted by Last Minute Musicians on October 3, 2016 @ 12:43 pmReport this post as inappropriate#8
by Thorton Thorton is currently offline. Click to send a message.

Well! A music teacher involves meeting with several pupils to play music, refine their technique, and teach music lesson which covers everything from fundamentals like scales and chords to more advanced music theory. To know more you can visit the Google page of wood Bridge Music at https://plus.google.com/102642981778688407461

Edited by Thorton on October 3, 2016 @ 12:51 pmReply to this message by quoting it
Re: Becoming a music teacher posted by Last Minute Musicians posted by on October 6, 2017 @ 6:36 amReport this post as inappropriate#9
by Cynthia Myra Cynthia Myra is currently offline. Click to send a message.

Yes, I definitely agree here. Thanks for sharing information.

Thanks

David K's Music School - Guitar Lessons San Jose, Voice Lessons San Jose

Almaden School of Music & Art - Guitar Lessons San Jose & Drum Classes San Jose

Re: Becoming a music teacher posted by Last Minute Musicians posted by on May 24, 2018 @ 1:03 amReport this post as inappropriate#10
by Guitar Lessons Guitar Lessons is currently offline. Click to send a message.

[QUOTE id=24776 time=1393504912]Hi,

I don't know whether this has been covered before, but i'm interested in writing an article about music teachers. How do you become one, what qualifications (if any) are required, is it important to have music industry knowledge etc?

Lastly, in a day and age of the internet and online learning tools - are music teachers a thing of the past?

Interested to hear people's thoughts!

[/QUOTE]

I've recently been taking local guitar lessons in San Jose for a few months now and it's quite amazing what in-person lessons can do for you. I think writing an article on this subject will definitely be great for the community.

Re: Becoming a music teacher posted by Last Minute Musicians posted by on March 17, 2020 @ 4:00 amReport this post as inappropriate#11
by Tom Heimer Tom Heimer is currently offline. Click to send a message.

I can only speak for Band Directors in saying that surprisingly, they are not a thing of the past. School bands still need directors.

I have been surprised at the longevity of Band programs since my teaching days (1977-96). Most of that time there was little or no e-learning available online (if there WAS an "online"). But, there were a host of video games out there and other stimuli that I figured would pry youngsters away from learning an instrument.

How long into the future bands will survive is anyone's guess.

Re: Becoming a music teacher posted by Last Minute Musicians posted by on June 15, 2020 @ 6:39 amReport this post as inappropriate#12
by Temenuzhka Milanova Ilieva  

I became a violin teacher after having 16 years of orchestra experience. That is vital to teach an instrument because in college you can learn to play solo but the variety of music styles you learn in symphony music.

Re: Becoming a music teacher posted by Last Minute Musicians posted by on February 22, 2021 @ 3:18 amReport this post as inappropriate#13
by Tom Heimer Tom Heimer is currently offline. Click to send a message.

Of course you must define Music Teacher. If you want to teach Music, Band, Choir, Orchestra, or anything in a public school (in Canada or U.S.anyway), you need a bachelors degree and state (province) teacher certificate. Some states (NY for sure) require a Masters degree within 5 years of being hired.

If you want to hang out a shingle to teach anything privately, you need nothing.

I would imagine extensive professional performance experience would be a requirement to teach at a university. I would imagine some in those positions have neither a degree nor a teaching cert.

Post a Reply