Re: When you can't stop listening to a piece... posted by Maichi posted by Maichi

5 posts on this topic, 2877 views

Post a Reply
When you can't stop listening to a piece... on December 23, 2015 @ 10:24 amReport this post as inappropriate#1
by Maichi Maichi is currently offline. Click to send a message.

It seems a few works draw me in so much that I can't stop listening to the piece, and don't want to move on at all for a while... which may take 5, 10 or more listening of the same piece or set of pieces over and over again! When I turn off the music, I keep hearing it in my head during the day and I want to revisit it later, without getting tired of hearing the same piece again.

So far that has happened with a few pieces, such as:

- Beethoven Cello Sonatas
- Beethoven String Quartets
- Dvorak Cello Concerto
- Haydn Cello Concertos
- Bartok Concerto for Orchestra and String Quartets
- Mozart Piano Concertos
- Brahm's Violin Sonatas and Piano concerto #1

My philosophy is to never leave as long as the piece draws me in...

Wondering how others hear have the same experience and for which pieces.

Tags : tu vi

Edited by Maichi on December 29, 2015 @ 9:04 amReply to this message by quoting it
Re: When you can't stop listening to a piece... posted by Maichi on February 8, 2016 @ 10:19 amReport this post as inappropriate#2
by Richard Hughes Richard Hughes is currently offline. Click to send a message.

Yes.. You are right.. This also happens to me sometimes. I don't remove which piece but I used to have the same experience. Music is really a peaceful feeling.

http://www.writeversity.com/

Reply to this message by quoting it
Re: When you can't stop listening to a piece... posted by Maichi on May 8, 2016 @ 5:32 amReport this post as inappropriate#3
by Raymond Chor Raymond Chor is currently offline. Click to send a message.

I have a very similar kind of experience everytime I listen to something mellow and dark, I don't know why but it somehow resonates with me in ways that couldn't compare with others. Steven Wilson is the prime example of the kind of music that keeps drawing me in, especially from his own album.

Another I really like is Beck, especially from the album Mutation, Runner Dial Zero is my go-to mellow music. Gazpacho also really likes making dark and melodic music that I just could not turn away from. Something like Black Lily and Molok Rising is just mind blowing.
Lastly, I've been listening to many folk-oriented music lately and find them to hold similar qualities that lures me right into it like a moth to a flame. These include Pentangle, Finterforst, and also this Thai band my friend recommended to me: The Rube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQbO1bDRTPA

Edited by Raymond Chor on May 8, 2016 @ 5:32 amReply to this message by quoting it
Re: When you can't stop listening to a piece... posted by Maichi on June 24, 2020 @ 11:35 amReport this post as inappropriate#4
by Zoey Wilson Zoey Wilson is currently offline. Click to send a message.

Yes, happens to me too. There was a time when my mum would get mad at me, but now she's used to my habit. I can listen to some old songs over and over again.

Re: When you can't stop listening to a piece... posted by Maichi on December 11, 2020 @ 5:59 amReport this post as inappropriate#5
by Tom Heimer Tom Heimer is currently offline. Click to send a message.

Like most folks, I get a piece or part of a piece stuck in my head for a while.

More frustrating is when I single out a difficult run on the clarinet and keep doing it over & over in my head until I THINK I can play it perfectly every time. Then I go over it again.

Post a Reply